Train obj found

Started by archonforest, February 10, 2017, 07:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

This is not gonna work, it's indeed too broken and mismatched. Sorry. It'll take ages to reallign.

j meyer

Had a go at it.
Corrected size and position, re-aligned the window/door parts, separated windows,
re-grouped anything, set up materials and some more.
Some parts are such a mess - the whole roof section - that i didn't bother with.
What a piece of crap! Sorry, that was necessary.

[attachimg=1]

Attached are two versions:
one with separated glass parts
and one un-separated.

Dune

Yes, that roof looked awful, overlapping stuff, etc. Good of you, Jochen, to get this working somehow. I've been attacked by the train virus as well now, and used another powerful looking engine for a render. Looking ofrward what Archonforest will be making.....

archonforest

Tku guys!!
Jochen u did something very nice there. Will download it tomorrw and will start to  play with it. ;)
U guys are great !! 8)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

luvsmuzik

jmeyer...you are a wiz....
This was a good example to know why it is important to label though. I don't know how you did it! Fantastic!

Hannes

Wow, Jochen, looks great so far!!!

KlausK

Ah, nice. I am reworking the model as well. Good exercise in import-export and retopo.
I`ll have a look at yours to see what you have done with it. Btw for me to fix the roof
was almost the easiest part. A few large chunks of polymess ;)
Is it because this seems to heve been originally modeled with splines and curves and
later converted to polygons that it is such a chaotic overlapping thingie?
I am not much of a modeler so I am just guessing. At least that`s what some of the
part names lead me to think. Could be totally wrong, though. Any ideas?

Looking forward to the rendered train adventures of all of you!
Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

j meyer

:)

luvsmuzik - Anything I've done is pretty easy to achieve using Wings3d. Re-grouping, re-labeling,
                re-aligning, re-positioning, re-scaling is much more comfy in Wings than in Blender.

KlausK - I don't think that converting from splines and curves generally creates such a mess.
             My guess is that more than one person made this model. Seems like someone tried to
             fix/replace missing or broken parts before. But that's of course just speculation, too.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: j meyer on February 12, 2017, 12:17:28 PM

luvsmuzik - Anything I've done is pretty easy to achieve using Wings3d. Re-grouping, re-labeling,
                re-aligning, re-positioning, re-scaling is much more comfy in Wings than in Blender.

I agree that I am not a modeller, but a dabbler. I used to be able to read the notepad files of objects to change basic colors, etc., never diving into much complicated meshes.
I have made an object from a single spline curve, and applied a lathe modifer...you know easy stuff.
In 3ds form Blender opened this for me as an incomplete model with microscopic sections....but the materials did not match up either...no groups were in sync...so I sort of said...Over my head here. Glad you got it done for archonforest!

archonforest

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 12, 2017, 01:11:22 PM
Quote from: j meyer on February 12, 2017, 12:17:28 PM

I agree that I am not a modeller, but a dabbler. I used to be able to read the notepad files of objects to change basic colors, etc., never diving into much complicated meshes.
I have made an object from a single spline curve, and applied a lathe modifer...you know easy stuff.
In 3ds form Blender opened this for me as an incomplete model with microscopic sections....but the materials did not match up either...no groups were in sync...so I sort of said...Over my head here. Glad you got it done for archonforest!
Hehe I am glad too :D
Already working on the first scene. Just bought the rails that Dune made so I can put the baby on the right track.

Dune

archonforest

Jochen if u read this I would like to ask a last favor if possible. At the front of the train there is a big yellow part. Would be possible to separate that part from the main body so I can color it yellow? This gives personality to the train and makes a hell of a difference.  :D

j meyer

This is all I can do on the fly.

[attachimg=1]

Since the model is not very accurate you can't get much closer to the original, I'm afraid.
Without re-modeling, that is.

archonforest

Quote from: j meyer on February 13, 2017, 11:43:58 AM
This is all I can do on the fly.

[attachimg=1]

Since the model is not very accurate you can't get much closer to the original, I'm afraid.
Without re-modeling, that is.
WOW! Fantastic. Tku so much man!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

j meyer

You're welcome. :)
Happy rendering.