Micropoly detail

Started by Hannes, February 19, 2017, 05:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on February 21, 2017, 06:00:13 PM
Bobby, in a situation like your test case you have notable terrain elements visible. So reducing micropoly detail that significantly is obviously affecting your terrain rendering quality. I would be less extreme with it in such a situation. Most of the other tests here are, I think, referring to situations where little or no terrain is actually visible (for example when totally covered by plant objects). But I understand yours may have just been a test to see how it goes. I just want to make sure you do not intend to ultimately use .1 micropoly detail in an average scene where terrain might be visible.

- Oshyan

You're quite right, just testing extremes. i will likely use it more in indoor renders though...just doing controls for when my workstation is up and running again so i wil be able to tell if it's functioning well or poorly. You'll notice I have 8 populations in this render and on only 8 G RAM so if memory is my problem it looks like what's in there is bad and not too little...although as I put aside enough for 32 G I intend to get that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Just found out that you have to import a plane object if you want to have water. The internal water object looks pixelated like the terrain with such low settings. An imported one look good.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on February 22, 2017, 05:46:40 PM
Just found out that you have to import a plane object if you want to have water. The internal water object looks pixelated like the terrain with such low settings. An imported one look good.

Huh?   I just did this....just painted on the ground. Not sure if I did that in the one I shared.

If you use Disp Offset on the grass/ground layer of 10-20 you can get edges on the river.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

@Hannes: but the imported plane wouldn't have real displacement, just bump, or it would have to extremely fine-meshed. For relatively flat water it's a great solution, however.

Hannes

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 22, 2017, 08:20:52 PM
Huh?   I just did this....just painted on the ground. Not sure if I did that in the one I shared.

I mean, when you're using a MD of 0.1.

Quote from: Dune on February 23, 2017, 02:13:54 AM
@Hannes: but the imported plane wouldn't have real displacement, just bump, or it would have to extremely fine-meshed. For relatively flat water it's a great solution, however.

That's true.

Hannes

Don't get me wrong. This would be of course a very rare situation. At the moment I am improving the old scene I showed in Reply 4 of this thread, and I want some water showing through between these buildings or ruins or whatever this is. So, what I mean is, use an imported plane for water, if all you see otherwise is objects, and you're using a MD of 0.1.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on February 23, 2017, 03:17:12 AM
Don't get me wrong. This would be of course a very rare situation. At the moment I am improving the old scene I showed in Reply 4 of this thread, and I want some water showing through between these buildings or ruins or whatever this is. So, what I mean is, use an imported plane for water, if all you see otherwise is objects, and you're using a MD of 0.1.

Gotcha, was confused( a normal state)about what you were going for...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New