BSOD while rendering

Started by bobbystahr, February 14, 2017, 01:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Guess I'll be calling my tech dude tomorrow, we can't have that.
This is the report...can anyone tell what caused it from this?

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   BlueScreen
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:   1a
  BCP1:   0000000000041790
  BCP2:   FFFFFA8008E293F0
  BCP3:   000000000000FFFF
  BCP4:   0000000000000000
  OS Version:   6_1_7601
  Service Pack:   1_0
  Product:   256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\021417-13088-01.dmp
  C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-18033-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Download and test memory:
http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Per the codes you got it sounds like memory error. Not 100 percent sure of course.

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on February 14, 2017, 03:15:05 AM
Download and test memory:
http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Per the codes you got it sounds like memory error. Not 100 percent sure of course.

Thanks Atilla, got my tech dude coming by and hopefully he'll be bringing me my other 16G RAM stick and the mem check is what he'll most likely perform. But we did a check on it when he brought  it back to me after he worked on it at his shop. The 16 G stick was brand new at that time.

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

DannyG

This is your new machine Bobby?
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Quote from: Danny on February 14, 2017, 12:46:30 PM
This is your new machine Bobby?

Sigh, yeah..never managed that on the dell optiplex780
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Now it's crashing but not BSODing when I texture or add clip files...tech guy better get here soon is all I'm thinking or in a day or 2 I'll have a boat anchor.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

This all does look like a memory problem, or maybe you need yet more RAM?

When I bought my new lappie with 8GB RAM I was also under the false impression that now I can do virtually anything I like. So I created one project with so many external, custom textured objects that the file it no longer opens. ::) Maybe you just ask too much... Happened to me. Just guessing...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on February 15, 2017, 07:07:14 AM
This all does look like a memory problem, or maybe you need yet more RAM?

When I bought my new lappie with 8GB RAM I was also under the false impression that now I can do virtually anything I like. So I created one project with so many external, custom textured objects that the file it no longer opens. ::) Maybe you just ask too much... Happened to me. Just guessing...

eggs ackley...I budgeted for 32 G but the guy who built it said I wouldn't need more than 16G and was so stubborn about it I only ever got 16G. I've e mailed him and if he doesn't "get back to me in his own time" from the e mail, I'll phone him at suppertime.

I have found if I save and completely shut the computer down and start it up fresh, load the project it'll render normally, even after a BSOD, one of which I just had so I let the restart cycle run, shut it down, had a toke and a coffee, started again and it' s rendering nicely...so far.
If this holds true I'll be certain it's a RAM problem and really get on hs caser.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 16, 2017, 01:41:04 AM
I have found if I save and completely shut the computer down and start it up fresh, load the project it'll render normally, even after a BSOD, one of which I just had so I let the restart cycle run, shut it down, had a toke and a coffee, started again and it' s rendering nicely...so far.

Still, this is not how you'd imagine the normal functionality of TG on one's system I reckon. ::)

Kind of reminds me of an old, painful problem and an apparent "solution" of compositing an image from tiny pieces of working buckets while other buckets crashed due to low memory. Then, re-running render to capture other buckets and doing it some 30 times per project. ::) It's doable, sure. But would you actually want to have it that way?

I've had this on an Apple-based, Windows partition. Luckily, Oshyan resolved the issue then, but it has been a nightmare.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on February 16, 2017, 05:04:39 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr on February 16, 2017, 01:41:04 AM

Still, this is not how you'd imagine the normal functionality of TG on one's system I reckon. ::)

Kind of reminds me of an old, painful problem and an apparent "solution" of compositing an image from tiny pieces of working buckets while other buckets crashed due to low memory. Then, re-running render to capture other buckets and doing it some 30 times per project. ::) It's doable, sure. But would you actually want to have it that way?

I've had this on an Apple-based, Windows partition. Luckily, Oshyan resolved the issue then, but it has been a nightmare.

As I mentioned I have sent my tech guy an e mail and he has till Sat. suppertime at which time I'll be calling him on the telephone...very frustrating, had another couple of quits for no reason and just now another BSOD...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

Perhaps you just take the chips out and put them back firmly again. Sometimes it can be a stupid contact problem.

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on February 18, 2017, 01:20:33 PM
Perhaps you just take the chips out and put them back firmly again. Sometimes it can be a stupid contact problem.

I don't go inside the confuser, am a user not a DIY type so in any case tech guy needs to stop by. Preferably with another 16G stick..still waiting on an email reply, he has till supper today and the phone call happens.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 18, 2017, 01:40:06 PM
Quote from: archonforest on February 18, 2017, 01:20:33 PM

I don't go inside the confuser, am a user not a DIY type so in any case tech guy needs to stop by. Preferably with another 16G stick..still waiting on an email reply, he has till supper today and the phone call happens.

As you wish. But it is good to learn some hardware so you can see what people try to sell you and recognize crap when it happens. Telling the truth I am not very happy with this buy you had and this guy who is not showing up...etc. Feeling u are having a bit too much problem with that rig there... :-\

paq

Terragen is a really good hardware stress test software  8)

I have a damaged computer at home for the moment (the old computer had a strong overheat damage lately, I have lost few memory and pci slots).
While I can still use some CPU demanding softwares (Clarisse, Modo), Terragen is the only one that clearly remind me there is something with my rig :P (system freeze, blue screen, instant reboot, etc).

Not a Terragen fault, as the same scenes render fine at my office ...
Btw yes, 32 gigs is probably the bare minimum these days ...

Gameloft