Sculpting?

Started by René, February 14, 2017, 04:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

I wonder if it would be possible to add (basic) sculpting to Terragen. The reason I ask is because I often feel the need to correct mistakes. I currently use the painted shader but that is cumbersome and far from intuitive. Sculpting would also be useful if you have to work from a sketch or art direction.

Matt

Yes, and we have some ideas how we're going to do this :)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

Yes, lateral sculpting without the use of expensive computes!  :P

AP

A sculpting tool would be great as this would be most welcoming and hopefully stable and smooth, even on very large areas. Terragen Classic has such a feature so why not an update in 3D.

mhaze

This would be an awesome addition to TG's toolbox.

René

All in all good news and I'm glad I'm not the only one who has sculpting on his/her wish list, wich brings me to the enevitable question: any idea when we can expect this addition. :) ;)

DannyG

While your adding a sculpter you can also add a Sketch-Up like modeler in there. I think that would be a good idea, if you haven't thought of this already ;- )
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Quote from: Danny on February 15, 2017, 12:52:17 PM
While your adding a sculpter you can also add a Sketch-Up like modeler in there. I think that would be a good idea, if you haven't thought of this already ;- )

not familiar with Sketchup but a Wings3D type box modeler would be a very powerful addition. Yeaeaaah to the sculpting !
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

Sketch-Up is very easy to use, at least in my own experience. I started making use of it in a matter of minutes. In the case of Wings 3D, I am perplexed.

Matt

Quote from: René on February 15, 2017, 04:52:07 AM
wich brings me to the enevitable question: any idea when we can expect this addition. :) ;)

I cannot answer that yet ;)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: AP on February 15, 2017, 05:54:09 PM
Sketch-Up is very easy to use, at least in my own experience. I started making use of it in a matter of minutes. In the case of Wings 3D, I am perplexed.

does sketch up output .obj...when I tried it it was only skp and something else. granted it was brand new then and I was too busy to do 3D pre retirement as much as now. is it a free program?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Upon Infinity

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 15, 2017, 09:13:46 PM

does sketch up output .obj...when I tried it it was only skp and something else. granted it was brand new then and I was too busy to do 3D pre retirement as much as now. is it a free program?

I believe they have a free version, but that it is the paid one that will export .obj's, if memory serves.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Upon Infinity on February 15, 2017, 10:50:19 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on February 15, 2017, 09:13:46 PM

I believe they have a free version, but that it is the paid one that will export .obj's, if memory serves.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's what put me off it...there's quite a library there though if you've no  talent at all at modeling so I guess it serves  the google people well enough.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AP

There could be a plugin that allows exporting using other formats besides the default .skp file but do not quote me on that.