AMD Ryzen now shipping

Started by PabloMack, February 26, 2017, 12:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

Now we know what they cost (2950X and 2990WX):

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-Processor-YD295XA8AFWOF/dp/B07GFN6CVF/ref
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Threadripper-2990WX-Processor-YD299XAZAFWOF/dp/B07G25SD1P/ref

I don't think there is a 2990X. I read another article that said that the -X is targeted at gamers and... "the two new WX models are geared toward intense multitasking workloads, 3D rendering, media encoding, and cinema mastering. That makes them attractive to software developers, video/audio engineers, and content creators."

The processor doesn't include a stock cooler. Cooler Master's "Wraith Ripper" is an air-cooled solution and specifically designed for the TR4 socket and will have an MSRP of $119.99. It won't be available until next month. I could do without the LED lighting which you won't see anyway unless you have a transparent panel on your enclosure. I guess its one of those gamer-isms.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MAM-D7PN-DWRPS-T1-Wraith-Ripper/dp/B07H25DZ3M/ref

I read that half of the cores (two of the four dies) of the 2990WX are not directly connected to memory and I don't know what the ramifications are for that. With the 2950X, all cores get direct memory access at half the cost (and half the cores).

bobbystahr

Well based on those cpu prices, the cooler and new RAM, tis but a dream for me.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

PabloMack

This article is telling. Sounds like the 2950X is the high-end way to go. The article indicates that your power budget is fully loaded when half the cores of the 2990WX are running near 4GHz and the other half are idle. And in single-threaded performance, the 2950X has beaten the 2990WX, presumably because the base clock frequencies of the 2990WX are lower for power budget reasons. And if you are using the cores that are not directly connected to memory, then they will have added latency.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13124/the-amd-threadripper-2990wx-and-2950x-review/15

I think I will budget next year for a 2950X. It should almost double the performance of my render farm and will give me a better single-threaded workstation.

WAS

Really wish I could get one. Haha. One day, when it's a decade out of date. :P

PabloMack

I did an estimate for a 2950X system with 32GB of 3000Mhz DDR4. I cheaped out on a passively cooled graphics card. It comes in at just over $2K

CORSAIR CARBIDE SPEC-02 Mid-Tower Gaming Case, Red LED Fan_________________________________________________________________$59.99
EVGA 750 N1, 750W, 2 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-N1-0750-L1______________________________________________________________$50.99
OEM Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, 1-Pack, DVD__________________________________________________________________________________$98.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X Processor (YD295XA8AFWOF)____________________________________________________________________$899.99
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LED 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory - White LED_____________________________________________$307.99
GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX Motherboard___________________________________________________________________________________$369.99
ARCTIC Freezer 33 TR - Tower CPU Cooler AMD Ryzen, Threadripper, sTR4 I Silent 3-Phase-Motor Wide Range Regulation 200 to 1800 RPM - Red____$38.34
ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 2GB DDR3 PCI-E2.0 DL-DVI VGA HDMI Passive Cooled Single Slot Low Profile Graphics Card (ZT-71302-20L)_______________$47.54

Subtotal (8 items):  $1,875.31
Sales Tax______$154.71
Order total:    $2,030.02

[Edit]: I just got a reply from a customer who researched the fit and he said that the MB, CPU and cooler should all fit into the Spec02 case.

Dune

Good to see this. If I need another machine one of these days.... Thanks Pablo.

bobbystahr

now all I need is 2 grand american heh heh...sounds like an awesome setup
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

PabloMack

Seeing that the 2950X costs $300 (and %50) more than the 1950X at only 5% performance improvement, I am seriously considering the 1950X instead.

WAS

I was just messing around and priced this out. Not bad really.

This build already dropped 100$ dollars in a night. It was 750 last night.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/WASasquatch/saved/PcKdXL

PabloMack

I'm reading rumors that AMD is planning to release 16-core/32-thread in the Ryzen AM4-socket CPU form-factor in 2019 based on 7nm. These will be significantly cheaper than Threadripper because the socket is smaller and the motherboards are less than half the price. This is presumable because more signals requires the boards to be made with more layers. Of course the memory bandwidth of AM4 is only half that of TR4 because of the number of parallel lanes to memory. Threadripper models will also double to 32-cores/64 threads and possibly 64-cores/128 threads for their WX models. I think announcements will be made in January at CES 2019. Also, rumor has it that AMD is already working on their 3nm process.

Hetzen

My experience with i9 workstations and the Ryzen, is that the Intel chip is way better with lower thread processes. Not to say it's a good farm machine, but workstation performance is, well a factor of + x4 performance. I've spent a week on a AMD machine, and the Intel pissed all over it when we ran out of composition render time and had to swap to the i9. That was last year so things may have improved since then.

Oshyan

i9 is a lot more comparable to Threadripper than Ryzen. If you were really testing Ryzen against i9 it's kind of like testing i9 against i7. That being said it's true that Ryzen has similar or in some cases higher low-thread-count clock speed (i.e. boost speed) vs Threadripper, so if it's low-thread workloads you're talking about the results might hold.

AMD is getting their clock speed and IPC up in Zen 2 (AKA Zen+, Zen being the architecture behind Ryzen and Threadripper). That's coming early 2019, so worth a revisit then perhaps.

- Oshyan

Hetzen

My mistake. I did mean Threadripper not Ryzen.

WAS

Well, Threadripper is Ryzen. It's literally a type of Ryzen. The flagship workstation/gaming processor. The name of Threadripper is Ryzen Threadripper.

PabloMack

WAS, I think you're right. But some people seem to be calling the new generation processors that run in socket AM4 "Ryzen' which are Ryzen 3,5,7 while they call the ones that run in socket TR4 just "Threadripper". The architecture technologies are called Zen, Zen+, Zen2 etc.  I know it is confusing and a lot of the articles don't seem to agree on the terminology.