Urban jungle

Started by Hannes, February 28, 2017, 09:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Please don't ask for a meaning in this image. I have no idea.
An older scene I dug out and tried to improve. Once again TG showed it's ability to handle huge amounts of models. While I could hardly edit anything on one of the quite detailed building/ruin structures in 3ds Max (a plane modified with several instances of the Greeble plugin), I have six of them in TG. Plus some more nurnies and structures. Plus some trees populated upon them. Plus some ivy branches growing upon them. Plus two populations of leaves on these branches with 4.2 millions instances each. Plus the pods or whatever this is with some quite detailed ivy structures.
And two layers of (V2) clouds with "receive shadows from surfaces" on.
Rendertime for this image in 4K was six and a half hours.

Btw: all models except the trees made by myself.

cyphyr

Nicely done.

Definitely a story in there.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

archonforest

Pretty cool looking scene ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DocCharly65

Hey great, Hannes!
No meaning? I think it has one: "Resident Evil** meets Planet Of The Apes in District 9"    8) ;D

I share your enthusiasm about TG's ability to handle that huge amounts of models!
I had some models I couldn't even open in neither Wings3D nor PoseRay -- but no problem to open 2 or more instances in TG...

**Ok - for a Resident Evil context you would have to recolor the ivy into glossy black :) )

Dune

fleetwood

Very cool. I imagine it as the ultimate outcome of the "Day of the Triffids" scenario.

j meyer

8)
So, how much RAM is needed for that scene?

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on February 28, 2017, 11:56:59 AM
8)
So, how much RAM is needed for that scene?

2nd this info request....curious Bobby. And damn, y' beat me to space ivy. This is pehaps the scariest image in many ways I've seen lately...not that I look for 'em mind you...and scary good as well....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Thanks guys, I have 16GB, which is average nowadays I think.

yossam

Great pic Hannes...............I remember watching "Triffids" a very long time ago. Thanks for the memories fleetwood.  :)

masonspappy

Saw the original 'triffids' back in the '60s.    Awesome special effects (to an 8 year old).  ;D

Jo Kariboo

A beautiful nightmare! Great set up!

ADE

I have 16GB too but had to pull 2 /4GB ramchips out cos tg3 keeps crashing.....its ok to have these on my modelling apps, but terragen don't like the extra ram

great scene

archonforest

Quote from: ADE on March 01, 2017, 01:53:05 PM
I have 16GB too but had to pull 2 /4GB ramchips out cos tg3 keeps crashing.....its ok to have these on my modelling apps, but terragen don't like the extra ram

Most probably those rams are faulty or something? Otherwise it makes no sense... :o
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd