Continue Spike Limit

Started by efflux, September 10, 2007, 03:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

What does this mean? I understand what displacement spike limit is but what does the continue spike limit checkbox do?

Thanks.

rcallicotte

I thought it meant that the spikes would stop there - at the limit.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

efflux

The thing is, I don't know what maths function is limiting the displacement spikes. Logically, continue displacement spike would stop it being clamped at the set level but I don't know.

FrankB

I have also wondered what this is really about. My guess is, that with the checkbox, the spikes are limited on higher octaves, too, whereas without the checkbox, only the large scale spikes may be limited. But as I said, just a guess.

Frank

Volker Harun

Unchecking this with a couple of other options combined will give a splashscreen that shows Matt in Hawaii.

efflux

He he.  :D

At least the list of explanations for the nodes is growing.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Volker Harun on September 10, 2007, 04:47:22 PM
Unchecking this with a couple of other options combined will give a splashscreen that shows Matt in Hawaii.

that sounds like a microsoft Halo 2 error....lol.....what do you actually mean by that???
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Buzzzzz

Now seriously, I think that the only time one should check this option is in the event of a High Speed Chase to flatten the suckers tires.  :D

rcallicotte

LOL

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Ironshirt

hehe....   'easteregg' in Terragen.. funny  ;D

sonshine777

I thought it was to keep a superior volleyball team from creaming a nominal one. ;D

Matt

Spike Limit prevents individual noise 'elements' from becoming too high in amplitude. If Continue Spike Limit is not checked, this only limits the amplitude of each octave independently. If Continue Spike Limit is checked, whenever some noise element is affected by spike limit it remembers the reduction in amplitude and applies that reduction to further (smaller scaller) octaves that overlap the same region. This allows Roughness and Noise Variation to continue to have effects on smaller scales even on parts of the fractal where the amplitude is being limited, and in most cases results in a smoother (yet more varied) appearance of steep surfaces where larger scale octaves were producing excessive amplitude.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.