Cascades Lake

Started by Gannaingh, March 02, 2017, 05:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gannaingh

Another generic scene trying to replicate the beauty of the Pacific Northwest. I might be addicted.

Terragen 4 has been giving me some problems recently; if I have more than about three large populations in a scene my computer will lock up. However, the exact same scene will render just fine in TG3. To make this one I had to render the scene in TG3 with a clear sky and render a separate version with the clouds which were layered in photoshop. Beyond adding soft reflections to the water and increasing the specularity of the rocks at the water line it's pretty clsoe to how I want it.

Tangled-Universe

Happy to see you're still making nice renders :)
Did you report the issues you experienced?

Besides rendering it again with the improvements you already have planned for, what else are you considering to do/add/change?

Gannaingh

Yep, I'm still here!

I haven't reported it yet because I'm not entirely convinced it's a Terragen issue. My computer has been a bit wonky recently.

I'm thinking about giving some more TLC to the foreground on the left side of the image. I might add some tall shore grass and lily to extend the vegetation closer to the camera and to cover up the noise in the water's reflection due to the grass.

fleetwood

Like it a lot. Good realism.

Oshyan

How much RAM do you have? Have you monitored memory use during render?

- Oshyan

archonforest

great vista. i wish to be there!! :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

zaxxon

A lovely addiction!  ;). Once again your love for the Pacific Northwest shows in your images. Beautiful. Odd problem with the populations and not one I've experienced in TG 4. Perhaps Ram is the issue. But the image as it stands is very natural and lovely.

Hannes

Beautiful!!! Too bad, that you have these problems.

Gannaingh

Thanks everybody!

Oshyan, I have 8 GB of RAM. During the rendering of this latest version in TG3 RAM usage never rose above 7.1 GB. I'll need to do a test run to monitor usage in TG4.

I think the soft reflection and the reeds and lily pas around the shore really add to the image. Thanks for looking!

Gannaingh

When rendering in TG4 it does seem that I'm running out of RAM. I've attached a screenshot of the error message for reference.

Strangely, when I send it to PixelPlow, using TG4, I get the following message:

"Your job, job92156621567420, has encountered multiple slice errors during rendering

Warning: SetParamFromString: Unknown parameter: "minimum_threads" in class: renderC:\Windows\system32>IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 0 set retvar=-1073741819
"

I don't really know what that means, but I've sent a message to PixelPlow support asking what I can do to resolve the problem on my end.

zaxxon

The changes are very subtle and very nice. Working with 8 gigs makes it tough these days though.

Oshyan

Quote from: Gannaingh on March 04, 2017, 11:48:14 AM
Oshyan, I have 8 GB of RAM. During the rendering of this latest version in TG3 RAM usage never rose above 7.1 GB. I'll need to do a test run to monitor usage in TG4.

Well there's your problem, I'm afraid. It sounds like in TG3 you're already near the limit of your RAM (the OS needs some memory too, so it's actually a bit surprising that TG can use 7.1GB without crashing). TG4 definitely uses more memory for rendering, especially for objects and for new v3 clouds. So it seems like a pretty clear case of running out of memory indeed.

I'm surprised you've been able to do as much amazing work as you have with only 8GB! Surely you can upgrade? Maybe get one of those new AMD Ryzen CPUs in an affordable "monster" render box, and get 32GB of RAM. :D

- Oshyan