Noisy Animation

Started by dorianvan, March 02, 2017, 11:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Good that you got it better so far, Dorian. I feel kind of responsible too, and was indeed going to mention the bump. Having some problems with bump even in stills lately (blackening leaves). There's no bump in the leaves as I recall, only world color variation. There is bump in the trunks.

cyphyr

Just checking, when you're blending 5 files, are you blending file 0001, 0002, 0003, 0004, 0005 ... or 0001, 0006,  0011, 0016, 0021 ... or even 0001, 0011, 0021, 0031, 0041 ... etc?
Basically you should be rendering every 5th or even 10th frame for the GI Cache and blending those together so effectively the further apart the frames are that you are blending the smoother the GI light changes will be.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dorianvan

@Ulco: All the shader nodes in the foliage pops have .01 displacement. Should I turn all these off? They are also set to Very high quality and not Ultra. What do you think in the dirty node is causing that one black house? Maybe I'll try lowering the octaves as Matt suggested.
@Richard: I rendered every 5th frame and interpolated 5 files to blend. Maybe I should be rendering every 10? I also thought that maybe when I render the full size and increase the region padding, it might go away.

Also, when I do a cache for the animation, I leave GISD off. Then I turn it back on for rendering. Is that a wrong thing to do?

-Dorian

cyphyr

Quote from: dorianvan on March 08, 2017, 08:44:22 AM
.../

Also, when I do a cache for the animation, I leave GISD off. Then I turn it back on for rendering. Is that a wrong thing to do?

Ahh, that may well be the culptit (I do get to be wrong often mind ...) I would leave all the settings the same for rendering the GICache as I need for the final render (except of course frame frequency ...)
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

dorianvan

Thanks, I'll try that.
-Dorian

Dune

QuoteAll the shader nodes in the foliage pops have .01 displacement
But there isn't any input, so that doesn't matter. Quality doesn't matter either because you use ray tracing objects.

dorianvan

Thanks for the info Ulco, it's probably Terragen 101 information that I should have known :)
The crop animation looks better, Richard, but there's a little swimming of colors at the mountain. However, the dark house went away when I lowered the octaves (thanks Matt). I'm rendering a low res full screen test of 60 frames with GI padding (.25) and Ray detail region padding (.25); I'll keep the GI high (6,6,8) though.
-Dorian

Dune

What would happen if you make one good GI cache from say a centred frame, and use that for the whole sequence? It's 'just' one swoop, right?

cyphyr

I was wondfering this ... or 1 from frame 1 and 1 from frame 60 and blend between the two ... but wasn't confident I wasn't talkling rot!
As long as there is no dramatic change in lighting condtions it should work ... maybe ... scratches head, reaches for coffee.
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

dorianvan

My whole animation is 360 frames. For this one, I cached every ten frames from 0 to 100, then rendered frames 20-79. GI looks good (6,6,8,SS,GISD), but the foliage in front of the rubble is noisy. I'm assuming this is because of my low resolution (Det .5, AA 4). One last test of a higher resolution, full screen GI, but cropped render ought to do it.

Seems like I can use a smaller size GI cache (1280x720) and a higher size rendering (1920x1080), right? My caches are each about 575 MB!
-Dorian

Hannes

Looks great!!!

Quote from: dorianvan on March 09, 2017, 09:50:09 AM
Seems like I can use a smaller size GI cache (1280x720) and a higher size rendering (1920x1080), right? My caches are each about 575 MB!

Yes, as long as the aspect ratio is the same, it works.

Dune

dorianvan

Quote from: Hannes on March 09, 2017, 11:20:37 AM
Yes, as long as the aspect ratio is the same, it works.

Do you have a standard you use? Like cache 1/4, 1/2/, 3/4, or do you normally use the full size? Also, does the cache have to all be done on one computer or can several comps do it?

@Ulco: right back at you, thanks for helping.
-Dorian

dorianvan

After doing some research, I think I'll be fine at 1/2 size, and render the GI over several computers because they will all be blended anyway.
-Dorian

Hannes

Quote from: dorianvan on March 09, 2017, 01:01:26 PM
Do you have a standard you use? Like cache 1/4, 1/2/, 3/4, or do you normally use the full size? Also, does the cache have to all be done on one computer or can several comps do it?

That depends on the scene. Full size gives you the best result, but maybe the difference to half size isn't too strong, so you have to do some tests.