PBR shader setup in TG (was re: Speedtree 8)

Started by Matt, February 27, 2017, 09:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Quote from: archonforest on January 22, 2019, 02:29:26 PM
Just downloaded a test rock with textures from Quixel. Tried in Blender and it worked okay. Tried in TG and...huh nothing. Can someone tell me to where to plug the albeido texture with what settings? I tried pretty much everything but no luck. Seem I miss something elemental...

Always a good idea to check the .mat file that is created with OBJ's. Sometimes the pathing is off. Best practice is to place the images and the object in the same folder and remove any pathing info from the .mat file.
Once loaded check the internal network of the object and load the images(if not already loaded) in to the defuse, specular, roughness and displacement slots of the default shader.

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

archonforest

Thanks for the answers.
There is an .mtl file Oshyan and yes the obj was saved from Blender.
I have no clue how to check an mtl file cyphyr nor how to open it. If you can tell me that would be useful for sure.
And Poseray saves the day. Again. So I went through Poseray and saved a  new obj from there. Then loaded into TG and viola the color map showed up. Now trying to see how to fine tune the other maps so the rock looks somewhat decent. Re-reading this topic again to see what should be done. So far nothing close to the one the other showed.

I would like to ask something else here. I got an 8K map for this rock. This should be a super high resolution map. I thought this will make the rock object super sharp and thus I can do some close up renders. Well I tried but the render is pretty low resolution and even blurry here and there. Then I opened the albeido file and it is also not sharp at all. For me it is makes no sense. An 8K map for me should be insanely sharp and detailed. (At least this is my theory) Can someone tell me what is going on?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

cyphyr

You can open up the .mtl file in notepag or any text editor. Just make sure you save as an mtl file after editing (just press save should do it).
Also Poseray is a great solution.

Which rock did you download from Quixexl?
If it's one of the free ones we could swap settings without breaking any EULA's since we all have the files anyway.
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

archonforest

Quote from: cyphyr on January 23, 2019, 03:46:31 AM
You can open up the .mtl file in notepag or any text editor. Just make sure you save as an mtl file after editing (just press save should do it).
Also Poseray is a great solution.

Which rock did you download from Quixexl?
If it's one of the free ones we could swap settings without breaking any EULA's since we all have the files anyway.

I have this: "Scatter_Rock_Granite_phxuF_8K_3d_ms"

Managed to have the albeido but have hard time to get any details and displacement. Even though I using the same settings that are shown in this topic. Guess I missing some basic here.

cyphyr

Great that is one of their free samples, however I'd say it is not the best to work with really. These are "Scatter Rocks" so are intended for use in a populator or instancing program, spread in great numbers
The 8k maps are spread over 10 rocks so each rock is only getting about 0.8k at best of resolution.

Also you do have to separate out each rock individually before use so you have 10 different rock files.

I'll have a play and post up my setting shortly :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

archonforest

Quote from: cyphyr on January 23, 2019, 04:41:37 AM
Great that is one of their free samples, however I'd say it is not the best to work with really. These are "Scatter Rocks" so are intended for use in a populator or instancing program, spread in great numbers
The 8k maps are spread over 10 rocks so each rock is only getting about 0.8k at best of resolution.

Also you do have to separate out each rock individually before use so you have 10 different rock files.

I'll have a play and post up my setting shortly :)

Ohh this is very interesting about the map spread over the rocks. This actually makes sense. Thanks! Waiting for your post to see how it works for ya.

cyphyr

Ok here is my basic PBR setup.
I may be wrong but my understanding of PBR work-flow is that the images contain the relevant data for Albido (defuse colour) specular and roughness and that therefore these should not have their values changed as they are plugged through Terragen's shader network.
Therefore the albedo goes in the defuse channel and that channel colour is set to white 1 (see ScreenCap1).
The Reflectivity image is on the Specular tab so we put the specular image in there and set its value top the max (0.8). The image is actually very dark, almost black, so setting the value to 0.8 will still only give a very low reflectance.
Similarly the roughness image goes in the roughness channel with the value set to 1. The image is very light in this case which makes sense for rough granite. Setting the value to 1 means you will be using all of the values set in the image to scatter the light.
Displacement is NOT used since Terragen dose not support it on imported objects.

I have also created a surface layer for the ground using the rm4kshp_4K (Old Concrete) which is also free on the MegaScans site.

Obviously none of these settings are locked and you would need to tweak them to your own personal needs.
You can also make your own versions of the MegaScan files by layering them in Photoshop (or similar). Try using the cavity map to accentuate the albedo and specular maps for instance.

I hope this helps

The attached file does not include the MegaScan Assets, they can be downloaded for free from the MegaScan site.
Scatter Rocks (they will have to be separated into individual rocks and saved out as obj's from your modelling application of choice) here: https://quixel.com/assets/phxuF
Old Conctete ground texture here: https://quixel.com/assets/rm4kshp0
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

archonforest

Matt

Quote from: cyphyr on January 23, 2019, 06:46:41 AM
Displacement is NOT used since Terragen dose not support it on imported objects.

If you use the displacement map it will be rendered as bump mapping. This is probably better than not using it at all. Displacement amplitude may need to be adjusted.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

archonforest

Quote from: Matt on January 23, 2019, 02:19:14 PM
Quote from: cyphyr on January 23, 2019, 06:46:41 AM

If you use the displacement map it will be rendered as bump mapping. This is probably better than not using it at all. Displacement amplitude may need to be adjusted.

Thanks Matt. I'am using the disp map as it gives a better look. Playing with the setting now to figure out what looks better.

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\