bamboo

Started by luvsmuzik, March 07, 2017, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Someone asked about converting fbx to obj the other day.
I downloaded this free bamboo by Nobiax at CG traders. Read me file says to link
nobiax.deviantart.com

Easy conversion in Blender 2.78
WIP
SSS for path and voroni PF applied to surface layer
Lots of fake stone shaders

masonspappy

I'm curious - I've never played with FBX but thought it could be directly imported into T4?  Why convert to OBJ?

luvsmuzik

That may be masonspappy, I am so new to this importing stuff that i just assumed because the import menu says obj or tgo that it had to be that way. I did not even try fbx import. Free version here.

masonspappy

well, now I'm even more confused after looking more closely at fbx in T4. Looks like a landscape (perhaps animated) can be imported, but not an object.????    ???

luvsmuzik

Offline Oshyan
Planetside Staff

Holy snagging ducks!
View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Thank you DAZ Studio, you've done it again!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »
You don't need the Pro version to test any object-related stuff. There is nothing in the Pro version that will make objects work better, as far as I can recall. The FBX import/export is only for syncing camera, light, and animation data. You can't currently load FBX-format objects. So if you can't already get a good OBJ into TG the way you want it to be, then the Pro version probably won't make that any better

What you can do with the Pro version, however, is use render elements to output data that you could more easily combine with a Daz figure render. If Daz can output alpha, then you could just render the Daz figure out with an alpha and composite that over the TG render. To get shadows properly cast on terrain you could just export the terrain geometry from TG, load it into Daz, and use it to get proper shadows. As long as Daz can output a shadow element itself you could composite onto the full terrain render into TG. Conversely you could use Front Projection of a Terragen render onto the terrain geometry imported into Daz and do the final render there with a TG environment for IBL.

- Oshyan

Quote from: masonspappy on March 08, 2017, 05:15:18 AM
well, now I'm even more confused after looking more closely at fbx in T4. Looks like a landscape (perhaps animated) can be imported, but not an object.????    ???

That is a copy paste of a thread I found about DAZ  and FBX.  Maybe this is where you read it?

masonspappy

I had pretty much figured that out by trying to import an FBX object I had laying around into Terragen , then realize that the only items I really could import were the ones specified in your post.  I guess in a perfect world what I would like to do is create an object in blender (including color,specularity  and Bump files ) , Then import that object into Terragen  with links to those same files in tact so that I don't have to set them up over and over again (unfortunately I tend to tweak my models a lot even after they are "finished ").  For a moment  I had this wild and crazy hope that FBX might allow me to do just that.  :P

luvsmuzik

Quote from: masonspappy on March 08, 2017, 08:18:43 AM
I had pretty much figured that out by trying to import an FBX object I had laying around into Terragen , then realize that the only items I really could import were the ones specified in your post.  I guess in a perfect world what I would like to do is create an object in blender (including color,specularity  and Bump files ) , Then import that object into Terragen  with links to those same files in tact so that I don't have to set them up over and over again (unfortunately I tend to tweak my models a lot even after they are "finished ").  For a moment  I had this wild and crazy hope that FBX might allow me to do just that.  :P

Haha....don't we all...fifty nodes reduced to three....

What I have been doing too...once I get an object fixed in TG is make a clip of the object texture nodes and keep it in the object folder :P

masonspappy

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 08, 2017, 08:23:03 AM

What I have been doing too...once I get an object fixed in TG is make a clip of the object texture nodes and keep it in the object folder :P

Do you mean an actual clip file? Or save them as.TGO format?

luvsmuzik

Quote from: masonspappy on March 08, 2017, 09:31:34 AM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 08, 2017, 08:23:03 AM

Do you mean an actual clip file? Or save them as.TGO format?

I have to make a tgc, as I use the free version. You may be able to save a new object as tgo,...I do not know.

masonspappy

hmmm...should also work in free version, (I thought)
Try this:

- Import an OBJ into Terragen.
- At top of screen click on 'Node Network'
- Find the OBJ you want to save as a TGO.
- Right-Click on it and select "Save OBJ File"
- when the save window opens up there should be a 'Save as Type' box near the bottom of the screen. Click on this and select "Terragen Object files (*.tgo)".  It should now save as a  TGO file.  When you import into Terragen all the file associations (eg specular, color, bump, etc) should be intact.

Matt

I guess in a perfect world what I would like to do is create an object in blender (including color,specularity  and Bump files ) , Then import that object into Terragen  with links to those same files in tact so that I don't have to set them up over and over again (unfortunately I tend to tweak my models a lot even after they are "finished ").  For a moment  I had this wild and crazy hope that FBX might allow me to do just that.  :P

You can do that with OBJ, as long as the material assignments don't change. After you edit the object in Blender and save it, in Terragen go to the object node and use the button with the disk icon to reload the .obj file.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Matt on March 08, 2017, 01:08:08 PM
I guess in a perfect world what I would like to do is create an object in blender (including color,specularity  and Bump files ) , Then import that object into Terragen  with links to those same files in tact so that I don't have to set them up over and over again (unfortunately I tend to tweak my models a lot even after they are "finished ").  For a moment  I had this wild and crazy hope that FBX might allow me to do just that.  :P

You can do that with OBJ, as long as the material assignments don't change. After you edit the object in Blender and save it, in Terragen go to the object node and use the button with the disk icon to reload the .obj file.

Matt

Oh my gosh this is good to know! thank you!

bobbystahr

That was me and I've found DAZ Studio4 does a bang up job as well
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 08, 2017, 02:17:42 PM
Quote from: Matt on March 08, 2017, 01:08:08 PM

Matt

Oh my gosh this is good to know! thank you!

But y gotta remember the face count has to stay the same. add or subtract faces/polys from an object and it wont match up, at least that's what I found the few times I've tried this...but keep the geometry the same and all is well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 08, 2017, 05:31:10 PM
That was me and I've found DAZ Studio4 does a bang up job as well

Yes, I thought it was bobbystahr. I mentioned Blender as it is free for me to use and I already have it. As we have discussed, it will probably be forever before I can use something else. It does take awhile to get used to. We can all count the render/model programs we have used over a lifetime it seems, ha! I am just relieved it doesn't have to be all in a text file and then converted. :) The room isn't big enough for my typos doing that stuff.