bamboo

Started by luvsmuzik, March 07, 2017, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Something completely different; why is it that some of you guys always have these enormous quotes? Is that done automatically or deliberately?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 09, 2017, 01:48:15 AM
Something completely different; why is it that some of you guys always have these enormous quotes? Is that done automatically or deliberately?

Like leaving the statement you're responding to? I do it to maintain context if someone just drops in on my reply.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

masonspappy

I've reached the age where, if the quote isn't 't directly in front of me, I forget what I'm replying to you before I ever finish typing.     ;D ;D

luvsmuzik

I also thought if a quote was inserted in a reply, that person was notified of a reply, or has that changed?

Dune

I see. I don't think a quote has anything to do with notifications. You can set notifications for threads, I think. I did that earlier, but got so many mails, that I now just click the line under the welcome at the top left, and every morning read every new post. I won't miss a thing (so beware  ;)), and won't need the quotes as I know what a thread is about. But you have a point, Bobby, when someone drops in for the first time, you may want the basis for a response. On the other hand, if I drop into a thread (other fora), I just read back if I want to know all.

Anyway, it was just a question  ::)

j meyer

QuoteBut y gotta remember the face count has to stay the same. add or subtract faces/polys from an object and it wont match up, at least that's what I found the few times I've tried this...but keep the geometry the same and all is well.

That's not quite right. You can change geometry, face count, more parts or less, doesn't matter
as long as the materials - count and names etc - stay the same. ;)

masonspappy

J Meyer's comment is a good usage of quoting. His comment addresses a specific part of the dialog and does not require the reader to comb through the previous entries to figure out what he's referring to.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on March 09, 2017, 11:57:31 AM
That's not quite right. You can change geometry, face count, more parts or less, doesn't matter
as long as the materials - count and names etc - stay the same. ;)

ooops my brain went all dyslexic...that is in fact what I meant...pre occupied as I've been almost promised a new cpu  and most of my brain is dead except for that thought, without heavy marshalling on my part
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

And this last one was all quote  ???

luvsmuzik

Bobby typed inside the brackets of the quote code,  so his reply looks like a double quote.  Start quote end quote

luvsmuzik

As my grandpa used to say, "Being the well rounded person that I am, I know a little bit about everything, and a lot about nothing".

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 11, 2017, 02:35:32 AM
all quote  ???

That was simply inattention to what I was doing..this better heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Urantia Jerry

As far as Large Quotes, if I understand correctly, I have found that in the past I have done the cut - copy - paste thing to rearrange something in my post, which caused to font to become HUGE.

Urantia Jerry

Maybe I just misunderstood  :o

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Urantia Jerry on March 11, 2017, 10:01:52 AM
As far as Large Quotes, if I understand correctly, I have found that in the past I have done the cut - copy - paste thing to rearrange something in my post, which caused to font to become HUGE.

Like with any coding Jerry, if you happen to hook a command in with your copy paste, you might accidentally hook in something unintentionally. Those brackets, symbols, and letters tell the editor what to do, so *%*# happens. We have all done it a time or two, believe me.