Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Kariboo

flowers and trees: Silva3D
herbs and shrubs: Ulco
tress:AP
peoples:Artec Group inc.

for infos. 51min render approx. : TG4

Oshyan

It's a lovely-looking scene with a lot of realism. I like that there is detail and realism all the way to the horizon. I guess that's a lake in the distance? Almost looks like Lake Tahoe, it's so huge.

My only real criticism is it needs more antialiasing, it seems rather noisy. With just a 51 minute render time I think you can afford to increase it. :)

- Oshyan

otakar

Very interesting render. Nice details. I wish it were possible to manipulate the poses of these human models so you can customize for each scene.

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: otakar on March 15, 2017, 12:28:50 PM
Very interesting render. Nice details. I wish it were possible to manipulate the poses of these human models so you can customize for each scene.

Thank you otakar, and for the human figure,yes it would be a good addition, his characters are quite realistic

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: Oshyan on March 14, 2017, 11:25:30 PM
It's a lovely-looking scene with a lot of realism. I like that there is detail and realism all the way to the horizon. I guess that's a lake in the distance? Almost looks like Lake Tahoe, it's so huge.

My only real criticism is it needs more antialiasing, it seems rather noisy. With just a 51 minute render time I think you can afford to increase it. :)

- Oshyan

Thank you Oshyan,
I have not had time to read everything on TG4, I remember that with TG3 for a decent rendering it was advised 7AA and .8 detail.
What would be the settings to get a quality rendering with TG4. Is there a link that would give advice?
Thanks.

bobbystahr

Beautiful and I agree with Oshyan, that'd make it photoreal.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Probably a stupid question, but are tgo human objects not posable?

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 16, 2017, 10:13:44 AM
Probably a stupid question, but are tgo human objects not posable?

The ones we've been using come as a set of medium res static figures
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

There is no single set of "best" settings that works in all situations. That has always been true. But I'm particularly surprised at the settings that you arrived at as being recommended because the AA value is relatively low, and an uneven number at that (even numbers, especially Powers of Two, are more recommended), and the micropoly detail is relatively high. I'm curious where those values came from.

In any case I think a good way to approach this is to have a sort of "baseline" of values you start with, and then adjust higher (or lower, if possible, to save render time) based on how the results look. So for that I would suggest Micropoly Detail of 0.6, AA of 8, as your *starting* point. AA is more important when there are lots of plant models, especially those with fine details like grasses and shrubs; it's a bit less important with most trees (broad-leafed).

It's also possible that you just added a lot of sharpening in post processing, which accentuated any issues from the lower antialiasing.

- Oshyan

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: Oshyan on March 16, 2017, 04:23:10 PM
There is no single set of "best" settings that works in all situations. That has always been true. But I'm particularly surprised at the settings that you arrived at as being recommended because the AA value is relatively low, and an uneven number at that (even numbers, especially Powers of Two, are more recommended), and the micropoly detail is relatively high. I'm curious where those values came from.

In any case I think a good way to approach this is to have a sort of "baseline" of values you start with, and then adjust higher (or lower, if possible, to save render time) based on how the results look. So for that I would suggest Micropoly Detail of 0.6, AA of 8, as your *starting* point. AA is more important when there are lots of plant models, especially those with fine details like grasses and shrubs; it's a bit less important with most trees (broad-leafed).

It's also possible that you just added a lot of sharpening in post processing, which accentuated any issues from the lower antialiasing.

Thanks Oshyan,
Where did I get this information 7AA and .8 detail for TG3... but in the Terragen instruction manual! ...... Ok it's a joke.
Sincerely I searched in the in forum and found nothing, I probably misinterpreted some information.

I made another rendering of the same scene but with 10AA and .8 detail, render time 4hrs.16min.. There is actually less noise in the vegetation. This is very evident in herbs. The rendering time is also higher. As the top image of the post there is no post-prod.
What do you think?

DannyG

Very nice, love the scattered mist.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Lady of the Lake

Picture perfect.  This is very nice.

DocCharly65

The 4h-version is in fact better :)
Nice Render!

bobbystahr

Well worth the 4 hr render Pierre...love this scene....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Oh yes, the AA10 version is much, much better. Worth the render time if you ask me. :)

- Oshyan