RTP not working

Started by archonforest, March 23, 2017, 03:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

I have time to time that the RTP function is not working. I click on it and then the preview goes blank and nothing happens. ANyone have this? It is a bug?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

luvsmuzik

Are you in render preview or object preview. Mine works best in render preview or lighting....

fleetwood

When it stops working clicking pause and then unpause, surface color on, surface color off, pause  and unpause ususally revives it for me. Nothing exact, just on and off a couple times on a couple of the tabs seems to wake it up.

archonforest

Quote from: fleetwood on March 23, 2017, 06:19:31 PM
When it stops working clicking pause and then unpause, surface color on, surface color off, pause  and unpause ususally revives it for me. Nothing exact, just on and off a couple times on a couple of the tabs seems to wake it up.

Ohh... wow got it. So it is a bug in this case. Planetside pls take a look of this when u can.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

René

Ethrieltd

Yep. Me too.

Switching between the Terrain/Atmosphere/Lighting screens and Pause/Unpause or similar clickery usually springs it back to life.

bobbystahr

"clickery" a lovely new 3D word...thanks Ethrieltd.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

We have seen intermittent issues with RTP but have not yet tracked it down or found a way to reliably reproduce it. If you can determine specific steps to cause it with reasonable frequency, that would be very helpful. We will continue to investigate.

- Oshyan

fleetwood

This is the scenario for me on Windows 10. Basically you pause RTP, run a test render, then try to Unpause RTP, it will say the RTP  finished instead of continuing to respond to any changes.

Here it is in detail :
  Open Terragen to the default TGD. Let the Terrain preview finish. Click RTP . Turn on Surface colors, Atmos, Lighting. Let RTP run for 10 seconds or so.
Pause RTP.  Run a test render at the default render settings. Let the real render run 10 seconds or so, doesn't need to complete.
Abort the test render.
Go to the preview window and unPause RTP. It will say "finished"
Now toggling the Surface colors icon, Atmo icon, Lighting icon, has no effect. Make a Change to the Base Colors in Shader group. Try clicking the Surface Color in RTP, it still does nothing.

At this point have to resort to the Pause, Unpause, Surface Color, No Surface Color trick to get the RTP running again.

It is possible to turn RTP off and start over, but with complicated terrains set to preview HD detail this can be quite a while to get back to the point of being able to run RTP again.  So the pause unpause, etc. is faster to get things going to see the effect of a color change for example.

Ethrieltd

Quote from: fleetwood on March 25, 2017, 09:01:13 AM
Go to the preview window and unPause RTP. It will say "finished"

Same as up to this. It didn't say finished on mine. Just did nothing. Clicking it again produced the text "preparing ray-trace mode" over the preview window but no other progress.

Win7 x64

Oshyan

Thanks for the details guys, we'll look into it.

- Oshyan