Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Not so much to discuss here...Ryzen it is! Looks like an awesome choice for TG users.
Now lets see what intel will do.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on March 28, 2017, 11:37:59 AM
Not so much to discuss here...Ryzen it is! Looks like an awesome choice for TG users.

There is a slim possibility that I will have one of these some time in April, crossing my fingers.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 28, 2017, 11:50:10 AM
Quote from: archonforest on March 28, 2017, 11:37:59 AM

There is a slim possibility that I will have one of these some time in April, crossing my fingers.

YEah grab it if u can. I looked up several pages and it seems this new cpu kicks b... :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Yup even faster than the xeon...that's sayin sumpin eh!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 28, 2017, 11:28:32 AM
Found this at the evermotion site re: render times i\of RyZen Vs Xeon

http://www.evermotion.org/articles/show/10618/is-ryzen-good-for-rendering-workstations-?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter170328_publications

DISCUSS PLEASE

Sorry to necro, but I love that they use a dual E5-2430 to test. Must have been an availability thing. Has anyone actually upgraded to a Ryzen and tested Terragen?

jaf

I've been waiting for the "new" TG benchmark for about a year now.  Doesn't seem like there's been much of an effort to get this done.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

WAS

Quote from: jaf on April 07, 2018, 09:27:38 PM
I've been waiting for the "new" TG benchmark for about a year now.  Doesn't seem like there's been much of an effort to get this done.

Would be interested to see. I vaguely remember someone mentioning that Terragen will always demand more than current computers like a decade ago, and that seems to still hold true. I believe he meant timely complicated renders.

digitalguru

Yes, I have a Threadripper 1950X - it absolutely eats Terragen renders!

One of the first things I did with the system just out of the box was try the Terragen benchmark test - it came third -  with a fairly conservative overclock 3.8 (from base 3.4ghz)

I have 64gb 3000mhz  RAM, but currently running at much less than the rated speed to keep the temps down - currently my O/C is:

3.8ghz CPU
2166 mhz RAM

and my render temperatures never get above 66 degrees (max temp for this CPU is 68 degrees)

I'm going to let this bed in for a while - after all, my Terragen renders are about 4-5 times faster than my old Intel Core i7 960 4 Core!

One regret is not getting better cooling - I have a single fan Corsair AIO Water Cooler, which does a decent job at the the current setup, but is at its limit I think. Later I'll invest in a better cooler and push the overclock and ram speeds further - will be like getting a bit of an upgrade.

ajcgi

The threadripper still work with RTP then? I know it's intel embree accelerated but didn't know if that was independant of the hardware installed.

digitalguru

Works very well, in fact I almost never used it on my old machine - but use it all the time now, so much better to tune shaders etc.

AFIK - Embree is developed by Intel, but not exclusive to it.

WAS

Quote from: digitalguru on April 09, 2018, 05:12:53 AM
Yes, I have a Threadripper 1950X - it absolutely eats Terragen renders!

One of the first things I did with the system just out of the box was try the Terragen benchmark test - it came third -  with a fairly conservative overclock 3.8 (from base 3.4ghz)

I have 64gb 3000mhz  RAM, but currently running at much less than the rated speed to keep the temps down - currently my O/C is:

3.8ghz CPU
2166 mhz RAM

and my render temperatures never get above 66 degrees (max temp for this CPU is 68 degrees)

I'm going to let this bed in for a while - after all, my Terragen renders are about 4-5 times faster than my old Intel Core i7 960 4 Core!

One regret is not getting better cooling - I have a single fan Corsair AIO Water Cooler, which does a decent job at the the current setup, but is at its limit I think. Later I'll invest in a better cooler and push the overclock and ram speeds further - will be like getting a bit of an upgrade.

Wow that sounds amazing. I am jealous haha  My friend has a thread ripper build I always wanted to try Terragen on. He got the CPU for gaming though which just confused me. Better options for dedicated gaming.

digitalguru

QuoteBetter options for dedicated gaming.

Apparently some games won't run on it (I don't play games on mine) so it's got a mode that halves the cores/threads!

Oshyan

Embree does not require Intel CPUs, indeed. :)

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: digitalguru on April 09, 2018, 04:21:43 PM
QuoteBetter options for dedicated gaming.

Apparently some games won't run on it (I don't play games on mine) so it's got a mode that halves the cores/threads!

Games these days actually ship with a multi-embedded EXE. This EXE covers all common CPUs supported by the game due to multi-threadding in modern games. Developers actually have to write in support for CPUs. Some games like Mortal Komat X, and others, the developers were kinda lazy and a ton of CPUs that have the correct execution sets, and speed, are not supported. Like my AMD A10 on my currently dead desktop. Another good example is the frostbite engine and games like FIFA where FIFA 15/16 targeted more mainstream CPUs and subsequently they suffered complaints.