ISS

Started by Hannes, March 31, 2017, 10:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

You know, I got that same sort of thing in a simple plant I imported, looked like a pacman maze overhead. I put it a zero opacity at first....but still wondering what the heck is that?

masonspappy

Glad I could help. I got no idea about the 'space bathtub'.  :D

bobbystahr

Well, at that same page ther are downloads for the ,fbx  and the textures, .fbm so I dl'd em and put everything in an ISS folder and opened the .fbx with DAZ Srudio 4 and tickety bo it appeared fully textured in DAZ but after exporting to .obj I tried opening it in TG4  and it loaded fine but clicking show textured crashed my TG4 with 16G of RAM..wtf is up with that? Trying to load it into PoseRay but it's been struggling with it for at least 5 min. so far....finally on Loading model.... I'll post what happened later.

was still trying to load in PoseRay at 15 min so I cancelled, managed to get it back in TG4, checked the first material in the left panel and it was there so I tried a render and it got to starting render and just went unresponsive...good thing I am not really wanting to use this model but was just curious I guess. But DAZ does seem to be a handy alternative for those with it when .fbx comes up.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Bobby, you're talking about the NASA model, right?
As I wrote,  there are more than 1300 shaders. That was the first time, TG refused to render. It loaded, but after I hit render, TG crashed on my machine as well. It worked, after I reduced the shaders to 58.

masonspappy

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 02, 2017, 09:31:53 AM
You know, I got that same sort of thing in a simple plant I imported, looked like a pacman maze overhead. I put it a zero opacity at first....but still wondering what the heck is that?

Don't know if this applies to you, but I noticed that when I imported some of my Blender-made models into 3DS MAX, pieces were missing. I had to tick a box to force all parts to appear.  Maybe something like that is happening with you as well?
Frankly, I think much of this stuff is magic..... ;)

Hannes

Which box did you tick?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on April 02, 2017, 03:05:24 PM
It worked, after I reduced the shaders to 58.

Yeah, I sussed that out, as I said I was just curious, and as I've no MAX I'd have to beg the model from you were I to want/need it but I'm terribly terrestrial of late it seems...and speaking of terrestrial I inspected my yard as a flash of colour appeared at the foot of my peonies and whoop whoop, my prairie crocus' have risen and bloomed...this year I caught 'em before they disappeared.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

masonspappy

Quote from: Hannes on April 02, 2017, 03:29:01 PM
Which box did you tick?

Render Tab > Render Setup >  "Force 2-Sided"  checkbox

Hannes

Ah, thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Hannes

Here is a (quite large) comparison between the two models. Both have the same plain grey shader applied to see nothing but the geometry.
It seems, the free model by Chris Kuhn is even more detailed. I just started to tear the model apart to see, if it's doable to texture it. The textured mesh costs $159,99. Not too expensive, when you think of the work he put into this.

Oshyan

Oh wow, even *more* detail! Although Chris's model is missing some modules, eh?

- Oshyan

Hannes

Yes, as far as I remember he was talking about the actual configuration. There seem to be changes over time.

I'm thinking about combining the models... Maybe, if texturing isn't too tedious...

I had a look at Turbosquid. There is only one model, that's better than Chris's or the NASA model, and it costs $1299,-. which is justified, I guess. But there are some ridiculously expensive models. I don't know, what these people are thinking. These meshes are crappy compared to the mentioned free ones.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on April 03, 2017, 06:01:29 PM
Yes, as far as I remember he was talking about the actual configuration. There seem to be changes over time.

I don't know, what these people are thinking. These meshes are crappy compared to the mentioned free ones.

Hence the difference between business oriented modelers and artists...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Ethrieltd

NASA's website has some awesome resources. Some nice asteroid models and lots of other great resources.

https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/

Gotta love these space images, and hate those insane amount of textures/shaders. I had a bake of Hubble in C4D sit remapping groups for 6 hours (and achieve 3%) before I just decided to stop it as I think the heat death of the universe would have come first.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on April 03, 2017, 11:08:48 AM
Here is a (quite large) comparison between the two models. Both have the same plain grey shader applied to see nothing but the geometry.
It seems, the free model by Chris Kuhn is even more detailed. I just started to tear the model apart to see, if it's doable to texture it. The textured mesh costs $159,99. Not too expensive, when you think of the work he put into this.

Seems that Chris model has not more details. It seems to have different details. In the Nasa model many of the rivets and metal struts on the modules are just general bumpmaps. Chris model looks as if these details are real objects. (or do I have another version?)

These textures are in a central folder and I have to use them for each module - I copied all what I needed to each single module folder:
[attach=1]
After 8 modules I gave up (for the moment :)  )

159 bugs is ok but not cheap for just kidding around with it like I would do  ;)