Is there ever going to be documentation for Terragen?

Started by MutantPixel, April 01, 2017, 10:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajcgi

Yes that little question mark really should be functional. After Autodesk bought and then canned Softimage, the online help documentation was disconnected yet bizarrely it's still on their site. On the odd occasions I launch soft and need to check something those marks bring up a 404. Defunct software I expect this in, TG not so much. I'd call this documentation a high priority because as WASasquatch notes, even those of us who've used it for years, and definitely those who are enthusiasts, need it.

Oshyan

I'm confused. The question mark button *does* work and does exactly what you're asking, as far as I can see. Admittedly there are some functions that aren't yet well documented, but that's the broader issue we're already aware of and are working to address. Are some of you seeing the ? button not direct you to a relevant documentation page?

- Oshyan

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: Oshyan on August 14, 2018, 04:14:27 PM
I'm confused. The question mark button *does* work and does exactly what you're asking, as far as I can see. Admittedly there are some functions that aren't yet well documented, but that's the broader issue we're already aware of and are working to address. Are some of you seeing the ? button not direct you to a relevant documentation page?

- Oshyan

No, there is nothing wrong with the question mark button working.  It's just that sometimes it takes you to an incomplete page, or a page with TBD's etc.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Derek

Oshyan

Ah, yes. So we will definitely work on that.

- Oshyan

DutchDimension

Quote from: Oshyan on August 14, 2018, 04:14:27 PM

- Oshyan

Actually, it doesn't work for those behind a big corporate firewall. My TG workstation is disconnected from the internet for security reasons.
I'd love to see an option to have the documentation offline and local so that when I do click those little question marks I don't end up with a browser window that says 'Cannot connect to the internet'.

I understand that prevents one from always being up to date, but it's frustrating for professionals as it is increasingly becoming the norm at VFX/game studios to block internet access (due to greater client demand on tighter security controls).

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Actually I did find one "?" Button that is broken (at least for me).  It's the Cloud Layer v2 Shader "?" that seems to be broken.

Can someone else try going here and test the link?
https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Cloud_Layer_v2

This is what I get:
[attachimg=1]

Derek

Dune

QuoteI'd love to see an option to have the documentation offline and local
I have mentioned this years ago too. Would be handy indeed (I'm offline too). There are ways to gather whole websites of course (but a bit fickle) and there are ways to save as pdf (like PrintEdit WE), but I haven't done so.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 18, 2018, 02:28:12 AM
QuoteI'd love to see an option to have the documentation offline and local
I have mentioned this years ago too. Would be handy indeed (I'm offline too). There are ways to gather whole websites of course (but a bit fickle) and there are ways to save as pdf (like PrintEdit WE), but I haven't done so.

I'm sure when the documentation is more complete they could use one of those methods and do some slight editing if need be to create a nice offline documentation, like a PDF. That would be nice to have an easily refer to without a browser open. Well, least I use a light PDF viewer still