Using Apine Shader for displacement in Default Shader

Started by EoinArmstrong, April 02, 2017, 01:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EoinArmstrong

Hello there.

The Subject says it all.

I can plug a normal Power fractal in no problem and a simple shape or a lake will displace accordingly.  Not so Alpine.  Any ideas?

I tried looking for this topic and couldn't find it - apologies if it's been already answered!

Cheers,

Eoin.

Dune

N-drju

Wait, I don't understand... If you need a surface displaced, why would you use a default shader in connection with alpine? ??? Just use the alpine shader for displacement, and then work on shaders / colors independently.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

EoinArmstrong

Heya.

That explains it, Dune, thanks.  I was just trying to create a lake with real 3d waves, rather than a plane with a default water shader.  I'm sure I'm missing an obvious way of doing it.

Thanks a lot.

Dune

Real 3D waves? You can use the alpine shader for waves of course, just use low amplitude displacement and small sizes. But the internal wave functions of the water shader are basically also something like ridged, voronoi ridged or 'alpine' ridged, or a combination. Any PF-combi can make those waves as well.

Oshyan

To use the alpine shader for water displacement is fairly simple. Since the Alpine Shader is putting out displacement, not color, you can just plug it in to the input of the water shader and set the water shader's own internal roughness tot 0 (which turns off the built-in water shader displacement shapes). You need to tune the Alpine Shader's scale and displacement settings to be much smaller, of course. I've attached a simple clip file example. Look at all them tiny water mountains! :D

- Oshyan

Dune

I think you'd have to mix a few to get rid of the repetition. And I don't think the alpine is really suited for water. Better mix/add/multiply a few slightly warped (and/or stretched, and rotated) ridged and perlin pf's, and mask by pf for the wind patch effect.

EoinArmstrong

Thanks, both.  I shall play around with it this evening :)

EoinArmstrong

Both work, but the alpine one needs tweaking and renders (obviously) much more slowly; I was surprised at how well a regular PF worked, so thank you both!