Moses project

Started by Dune, April 05, 2017, 05:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Dorian and I are working on a project, and it's always good to get some ideas, so here's a few WIP's (0.5 AA5, 6-12min renders). We're not sure whether to use the TG water (and animate it parting) or do that differently, but I set something up anyway. Might even try a rough animation myself for the proof of principle. Some animations are to be made from these cams (with lots of people of course).
Basis is a local DEM to which alpine displacements are added, because the dem is really low-res, and no good by itself. It needs to look like the Sinai area; dark mountains, bleached sandy beaches.
Distance across the gulf of Aqaba is 16K, so not the average stream crossing.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Urantia Jerry

I really like them myself !

N-drju

The first two pictures look very good to me as a parting sea. I think that you can always render waves and sea of different shapes simply by displacing the terrain and applying water shader as a texturing / color. This works only on deep seas though, because it effectively "prevents" any underwater details... because there is no underwater
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

For distance that may work well indeed, and I sometimes use that method. But you need a flat area at water level, and this is based on a dem with sea bottom information, so I just used a sphere (water shader, no transparency needed), parted it by SSS. Animation test running now.

DannyG

Ole Chuck Would Be Proud

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

Yes, we need him up front!

fleetwood

Nice start. Probably a project where the Devil God is in the details.

dorianvan

I'm happy with a great start Ulco. That's an interesting way for the water to part that I haven't seen before. We might end up slowing that down, but pretty cool anyway. Doesn't look good by itself for closeups, though it may work as a layer to build on. I know you can always transition between images, but can wet ground be animated dry? On the parting, when it gets halfway down, does it have to be even, or can certain parts still be touching, then slowly separate for variety? I attached a photo from the wadi towards the beach.
-Dorian

Hannes

That looks very promising. Thumbs up!

bobbystahr

Following this for sure
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

The deepest end of the basin will separate last (unless I smooth/raise the bottom of the sea for travelers' sake), but I can add more variety to the parting. I can also animate wet-dry, no problem.

N-drju

Ulco / Dorian, while we're at it, may I ask what settings did you use for the wet sand texture? Reflectivity values? I am also doing a sea-related render at the moment and I'd like to compare the settings if you don't mind.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

luvsmuzik

I am always reminded of time lapse weather cams when I see the original film. Your animation is spot on. I can see you drying the sand in my mind right now! Good one!

Hannes

Wow, I missed the movie. Great!!

Oshyan

I think what you have there is a promising start. If you just added some particle effects on it from another app you'd probably have a great overall look, at least for distant shots.

- Oshyan