Gemini at Sea

Started by Ethrieltd, April 06, 2017, 09:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethrieltd

Gemini style lander after splashdown.

Might be waiting a while. No ship in sight. Let's hope this guy has better luck than Gus Grissom. Probably shouldn't christen this one the Molly Brown...

DannyG

A bit of a grain issue in the atmo, but the colors are nice that's for sure, also if I may .. it doesn't look like the capsule is handling any of those waves at all. It's at straight vertical? Perhaps tilting it a bit as well as adding white caps on waves would make this more convincing. Keep them coming
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Ethrieltd

Quote from: Danny on April 06, 2017, 01:28:50 PM
A bit of a grain issue in the atmo, but the colors are nice that's for sure, also if I may .. it doesn't look like the capsule is handling any of those waves at all. It's at straight vertical? Perhaps tilting it a bit as well as adding white caps on waves would make this more convincing. Keep them coming

Yeah. Dropped the quality of the atmosphere a bit too much. My first render was 5hrs in and had done about 8% (still getting my head round that trade off, nothing seemed overly high), so I aborted it and dropped the cloud quality. Evidently a bit too much. The capsule is tilted slightly but it was a trade off between it sitting too low in the water or seemingly riding on the tips of the waves. Never really done water before so will have to look into doing the foamy tips.

I think I should have added a bit more of the yellow color to the light on the capsule too thinking about it.

This took about 2hrs to render so, if I could get it at twice the quality for twice the time, I'd be satisfied, clouds murder my i5...

bobbystahr

Cool image. If you're using the Lake object for the water that might be your rendertime problem. For this type of image you could turn transparency off and that may help .
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Ethrieltd

Quote from: bobbystahr on April 09, 2017, 11:36:59 AM
If you're using the Lake object for the water that might be your rendertime problem. For this type of image you could turn transparency off and that may help .

I figured as much, clouds + water is harsh on my hardware. I never considered you wouldn't need to see through it.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Ethrieltd on April 09, 2017, 01:52:30 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on April 09, 2017, 11:36:59 AM
If you're using the Lake object for the water that might be your rendertime problem. For this type of image you could turn transparency off and that may help .

I never considered you wouldn't need to see through it.

I as well, Ulco pointed me/us in that direction a while (long while maybe) back.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Ethrieltd

I'm the sort of guy who'll put in a population of small pebble sized stones and then zoom out to 15,000ft, because you know. Realism... I know they're there, the MUST affect something...

DocCharly65

Nice render! The capsule seems have a bit too much glow... but on the other side without it would come out almost black with this light - right?

Ethrieltd

Quote from: DocCharly65 on April 11, 2017, 09:24:40 AM
Nice render! The capsule seems have a bit too much glow... but on the other side without it would come out almost black with this light - right?

Yeah, I should reduce and tint the light on the capsule to make it blend better. It is somewhat too bright.

El Kabong

Quote from: Ethrieltd on April 10, 2017, 05:39:05 AM
I'm the sort of guy who'll put in a population of small pebble sized stones and then zoom out to 15,000ft, because you know. Realism... I know they're there, the MUST affect something...

Heh.  ;)