Some recent stuff

Started by Dune, April 10, 2017, 09:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

As said. One is a neanderthal I made from a DAZ figure. Can be much better with proper hairs, but I also want to keep him relatively low poly. I'm slightly getting the hang of ZBrush to change stuff. The other is an Ice Age scene (reduced).

luvsmuzik

triceratops meets mastodon? This is a wonderful image!

DocCharly65

I like that impressive ice age scene!

j meyer

:) Nice to see.
Is the rhino yours, too?

DannyG

The light is killer in the bottom scene, well done as always Ulco
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

masonspappy

Definitely like the 2nd image with cool mastodon skeleton.

Dune

Thanks, guys. Some improvements made afterwards. I had some trouble getting the shadow under the big front stone dark enough, and also changed some translucency on leaves, added some easyclouds.... the idea was to put a neanderthaler in, but I wasn't satiefied with the guy (he didn't want to stand where I wanted him, bloody bastard  ;)), so there's work to do.
The rhino is Alessandro's, one of his wonderful animals: https://www.daz3d.com/rhinoceros-1-by-am I added the hair in ZBrush though and (I think) changed its posture a bit.

Dune

I got a long way with that stubborn Neanderthaler, but still something to get done. I like to make fringed edges to his coat (red circled areas mainly bug me), but with as little polys as possible. This guy is pretty heavy anyway (70MB tgo) for what I'm used to. So, back to the teaching class....

Also, stones are no good here. But it's a test anyway.

luvsmuzik

Whatever you did to his shoulder and arm sleeve looks awesome. Anyway to assign that same technique to those areas, maybe a tad shorter if necessary? Not familiar with your program, but can you assign faces or vertices for the fur, like the painted shader does? Just don't do a Buffalo Bill fringe :D

dorianvan

Nice image. The detail on the rocks look a bit fuzzy to me. Also, it might look a little better if you could break apart and separate some of the bones. Maybe even delete some, like they got taken away by another animal as a souvenir.
-Dorian

Dune

Good idea, Dorian. In the meantime I've found a solution for the fringes. There's a way in ZBrush with nanobrush, I still have to try that, but I'll do a UV mask. As my textures are usually generic and with maps extending the box, I call an opacity map and do the same math to it as in the fur texture map. Thanks to Jochen for his series about UV's. And it won't be a buffalo bill fringed thing  ;)

N-drju

Looks fantastic, despite some shortcomings. Have you considered rendering the guy in DS through IRay? That would effectively solve the problem of him being so resource-heavy.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

DocCharly65

Great how the fringes work in the render.

The stones look in fact a bit strange. As if their surfaces were sanded and rounded.

Dune

The stones actually need to be a bit rounded, having come with glaciers in ice age, and polished/sanded by ice and wind/sand.
I prefer rendering the whole in TG, as I did quite some editing to the tgo. But it's not too bad now. TG can easily load it, it's just my old fashioned pre-occupation with lowest poly stuff. Fringes by mask work like a dream with the adjusted map.
So, here's a final for now. I can't post without some blurring though.

Dune

;)