Volker's Tutorial Result(s)

Started by dhavalmistry, September 13, 2007, 11:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Here's my first try - Comments are welcome.  That's why I'm including the TGD.

I did the tutorial two or three times and then tore apart Volker's TGD.  Then, I recreated my own. 

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

@nvseal - Nice job.  I'm not sure I'm getting that nice surface yet.

dhavalmistry

Just another quick render......
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Volker Harun

Calico ... funny colours ,-) I'll look into the file later.
Dhavalmistry ... I like this version much more!
nvseal ... that is good!

I have done the following:

The green uses two layers of the Tutorialshaders - the darker green has a scaled shader for breakup.
The rocks have two layers, two.
Standard cumulus clouds with increased coverage and some changes in the lighting (0.5 SampleQuality)

Rendertime was a bit less than 7 hours on 0.9 quality, AA 8 and GI 2|2.

Volker

old_blaggard

Very nice!  Those surfaces remind me of the ones that some users were able to achieve in TG 0.9, but only with dozens of surface layers.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

nvseal

Great surfaces Volker. Here is another shot using using your tutorial (although you really can't see it), some trees, and some other clouds. If you wonder why it's called Mexico it's because, to me, it looks a bit like some parts of Mexico I've been too.  ;D

Volker Harun

The main advantage of this surface is that it works in any scale. And as soon as you use it more than 2 times in a scene, it saves rendertime.
The population looks convincing.

rcallicotte

Volker, my first image (above) was manipulated in Photoshop.  After some changes to the color in the nodes, here is the TG2 version (first one) and the same render after Photoshop (in the next row below).

I'm open to other comments.

rcallicotte

The exact same one as above after Photoshop.

dhavalmistry

another quick render....I know its pretty dark...but I am working on it....

Volker Harun

Volker Harun

This will probably be my last 'surface study'  on rocks:

I feel free to go for something completely different.

Volker

dhavalmistry

Asalam aleikum

I see you are Islamic......nice results.....

bigben

OK, so I was a bit slow on the uptake.  I figured it was owrth going through the tutorial to fill a few gaping holes in my knowledge.... filled quite a few. At the moment I'm working on creating 5 coloured surfaces for use in my NZ animation (3 for grass, 1 for trees, 1 for rocks) This one, is for green.

1 terrain with fractal detail, and a surface for rocks (base), snow and green.

I'm using the results from the tutorial slightly differently, incorporating them with my existing way of surfacing. I use the "One for all" group to provide the main colour tinting for the surface, with two extra nodes to create a BW version of the output node for variation (Convert red to scalar and a colour adjust to normalise values). This approach will probably mean I'll end up with two similar groups... one for tinting vegatation and one for tinting rocks.

There's still a bit of variation to go (haven't added blending shaders for the power fractals yet). I'll post a TGD when I've finished one shader. Camera height is 2m.

rcallicotte

BB - I could see how the green could appear to be grass at a distance and with some cover brush / trees.