lacking subdivision and details on "cube" primitive

Started by Nala1977, May 18, 2020, 05:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I see from your screenshot that you also masked the strata by the very narrow SSS, so it won't have the 'space' to strata.

N-drju

Quote from: Nala1977 on May 18, 2020, 02:50:07 PMthanks mate, i also felt that this method was way better than using a terrain.

This, actually, depends. It's great it works for you, but having terrain features contracted to the cube object may cause terrain continuity problems at one moment or another. Like when you go for a more complex environment.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Nala1977

Quote from: N-drju on May 19, 2020, 02:00:26 AM
Quote from: Nala1977 on May 18, 2020, 02:50:07 PMthanks mate, i also felt that this method was way better than using a terrain.

This, actually, depends. It's great it works for you, but having terrain features contracted to the cube object may cause terrain continuity problems at one moment or another. Like when you go for a more complex environment.
well the thing is i still can not get the same result going with terrain, because for some reason when you use a mask the effect is limited to that mask and i can not understand how to overcome this, for example like Dune said the effect of strata and outcrops is limited by the mask, but if i remove the mask is going to affect the whole terrain which is something i dont want.

so im trying to learn how to control things, there should be a way to have the strata effect on a masked zone.

Dune

Use color adjusts to either feed upward displacement or strata, and start out with a soft SSS.

Nala1977

So, always in this topic, can someone please point me out why the "Fake stones shader" stones are so stretched out?
as far as i understand they are taking the "redirect shader" into computation, but i dont understand the reason why, since i've put a "Compute Terrain" in between the redirect and the surface layer that has the fake stones shader as child.

Basically i want the fake stone shaders affecting the yellowish_/sand part of the image, while the rock is basically done.
What am i doing wrong?

thanks

Dune

Add a transform shader after the stone shader and set to world space.

WAS

Strata is going to be along the surface, so you probably won't get the effect you want. You'll want to try to fake it with a stretched X/Z fractal.

KlausK

What Dune said. And then maybe something like this?

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)