Fast God Rays

Started by bobbystahr, April 26, 2017, 08:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Here's a render that created itself contextually based on JimB's share GodRays from the Cloud File shares. His .tgd had no generated terrain so I hit random seed and generated till I liked the view, put MyMountain preset on it and dropped the Barr Memorial on it in line with a light ray, hit render and with AA6 it was done in 25 min...fastest god rays yet and nice quality. Haven't reseeded the clouds yet but feel certain there's hidden beauty there as well.C&C welcome as always.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Nice rays. The memorial is a bit off, I'd say. Wider camera angle to see more ground, some plots of woods and shrub, and a lonely road would be nice.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 27, 2017, 01:59:08 AM
Nice rays. The memorial is a bit off, I'd say. Wider camera angle to see more ground, some plots of woods and shrub, and a lonely road would be nice.

Indeed, It pays off sometimes to review all the downloads and test em out. I dl everything offered as 'educational' and this was apparently a solution to someone else's problem but it sure is a fast rendering example of GodRays. It wasn't in File Share as I'd thought but in a thread requesting help and JimB was the helper...
Sorta thinking that with that sky if I dropped the Atlantic ocean .tgc in the boiling waves would suit that insane sky. By a bit off do you mean not quite 'grounded'?...I agree. A road in that case down to a landing might also be nice. Will spend some time on this today. Thanks for the comments.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

A bit off meaning that it looks like a haphazardly thrown in object.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 27, 2017, 09:39:18 AM
A bit off meaning that it looks like a haphazardly thrown in object.

It in fact was but I've added context and maybe even a person, dithering about that now. I just wanted something in the light ray initially, and not a ruin as I'm prone to. Adding veg to the right side of the image but the left is so dark it may be an exercise in futility adding it there...will try some out though...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

Perhaps even extreme reduced scale (about 3-10% of the actual size) could give the hills more importance.
Cool rays!

bobbystahr

did what I planned and accidentally lost my cloud settings but I think I like this better
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Yes, but I'd say with calm water (reflecting the rays) and not a floating monument. Bunch of dark trees are nice and mysterious. Some scatterd lights like fireflies on the island would be extra mysterious. Very subtle.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 28, 2017, 02:02:02 AM
Yes, but I'd say with calm water (reflecting the rays) and not a floating monument. Bunch of dark trees are nice and mysterious. Some scatterd lights like fireflies on the island would be extra mysterious. Very subtle.

Oh snap, and I finally got a nice stormy sea. I was matching them up in energy to the ominous storm like clouds. The fireflies are a cool idea...I could do a pop of small imported spheres and make them all luminous yellow. Will try that when I get back from the chiropractor.
Uh, floating monument? Thanks for the input.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

I like the white caps. But with ominous storm approaching it can be either dead calm or choppy. Maybe the pavilion right at the crest there where your dock walkway leads, or atop the rise directly behind?  Or just fill with small veggies right in front of it.

I like this scene a lot.

bobbystahr

I'm actually more please with this small change than I imagined I'd be...thanks for the push Ulco. Curiously a smaller final image size but a slightly longer render with all render elements remaining the same.I turned off the Water reflection and used the Reflection shader at water (!.33)settings and Reflection softness set at 0.003.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

You're welcome Bobby. What I would do now is lower camera until a meter or so above water level, and reduce translucency on those bushes (?). What I see here in the reflection of the clouds sometimes troubles me as well, the grain looks much more pronounced in reflections than in the actual clouds. Would that have to do with subdivision settings (being 0.25 instead of near 1)?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 29, 2017, 02:41:20 AM
You're welcome Bobby. What I would do now is lower camera until a meter or so above water level, and reduce translucency on those bushes (?). What I see here in the reflection of the clouds sometimes troubles me as well, the grain looks much more pronounced in reflections than in the actual clouds. Would that have to do with subdivision settings (being 0.25 instead of near 1)?

Might it be the Softness in the replacement Reflective shader I replaced the Water's with?...I could cut that down...I sorta thought that myself. I'll look into that and try dropping the camera 'bout a  meter or so from the water. I hadn't touched sub D settings; will also look into that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Hows this. I had the reflection detail at Default as in the top one but upped it to 10 for the bottom. The camera os 2.3meters above the water, like on a boat's deck, as opposed to the aircraft of some sort I was shooting from originally. I seem to favour the sky view for some reason.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Marty

Wow! Love the last ones there! :D