Educational license questions

Started by jamd315, April 29, 2017, 09:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamd315

I have a couple questions about the educational licence I got for Terragen 4. 

• Am I allowed to enter into Terragen competitions?
  • How many computers can I have running Terragen?  I'm trying to make a render manager and currently no more than 2 have been rendering at the same time.
  • Can I give someone my image and have them use it in a project (game specifically) where they might make money?

Oshyan

Hi, thanks for your interest in the Terragen Educational License Program. This seems like a good opportunity to clarify the usage rules.

First, educational licenses should be used solely for the purpose of either learning or teaching Terragen, or Terragen-related educational subjects such as computer graphics principles, architectural visualization, etc. Licenses are granted only to current students, faculty, or other staff members of qualifying educational institutions.

Second, if anyone derives any monetary or other material gain directly or indirectly from your use of the Terragen Educational License, then you or the company that is is profiting are required to purchase a commercial license. Educational institutions that are engaging in official teaching and other educational activities are the only exception to this rule, as some institutions are for-profit, but still educational.

With that in mind, in answer to your questions:

You can enter a contest as long as there are no monetary or other material prizes (e.g. software licenses, resource packs with a retail value, etc.). If you might win a prize of any value by entering the contest, then you cannot use the educational license for that purpose, you must use a commercial license to do so.

You can use up to 5 additional installations as render nodes for your educational license.

You cannot give images that you create with your educational license to anyone who will make a profit from their use unless they purchase a commercial license.

- Oshyan