Thick snow

Started by Dune, May 04, 2017, 02:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Pretty darn good but the snow round here looks mostly like the rocky river pic...it only gets lumpy like that when it's warmish and the snow flakes are huge and clump similar to the top 2 reference pics
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I took the tree into ZBrush and hitting a few buttons, came up with lumps where thicker branches/needles were. In Poseray I added those to the tree again with a snow shaderset over it.

Dune

Another version, now with stream (and trout!).

luvsmuzik

Better, and better, and even more better! :)

Cocateho

This is coming along quite nicely!

bobbystahr

There's something odd about the river rock snow ...kinda looks like puffball mushrooms....bit other than that purty darn good....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Yes, maybe just vertical displacement would be in order.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 11, 2017, 11:13:24 AM

Sounds like that might be the answer...but gently
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on May 11, 2017, 11:13:24 AM

I think too. This looks kind of cool, but a bit like Marshmallow land ;D

Btw the sparkling looks great!!

Dune

Thanks Hannes, yes the sparkling is not the straightforward, but some mix with another refraction index and roughness, works quite well, though I still would like more 'wetness'.
This better? I don't know. I'll find some more photo's, but also thought this would be nice to make mossy boulders from, veggies like that would grow  'by normal'  ;)

Anyway, work is imminent, so experimentation time is over.

Hannes

Yes, I think, this is way better. Although the transition between the snow and the ground is a bit too soft. And the warped foam patterns in the water look a bit unnatural. (Nitpicking mode... ;))

Dune

That's easily changed. I had the idea to make the snow melt and do these streaks of molten snow down, or let some stalactite-like icicles hang under the piled snow, but I need to find some refs to get it more natural. Yes, the warping is a bit too much too (based on underwater textures), that can be changed easily as well. In fact it's all SO EASY  :P
I like nitpicking modes, especially from those I respect  ;)

DocCharly65

That's great, Ulco!

What do you think about some footsteps of the two persons? They are sunken so deep into the snow... you understand what I mean? :)

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on May 12, 2017, 05:12:10 AM
I like nitpicking modes, especially from those I respect  ;)

Thank you, Sir! ;)

Quote from: DocCharly65 on May 12, 2017, 05:49:47 AM
What do you think about some footsteps of the two persons? They are sunken so deep into the snow... you understand what I mean? :)

I think, this is a very good idea. Maybe you (or someone else) can use the attached ones?

Dune

You know, I have thought about that, but didn't want to spend time on it. I might do that. But in snow this deep it would mean more than just some footsteps  ;)