RTP Opacity Incorrect

Started by WAS, January 07, 2020, 06:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

The Opacity and RTP seem to be bugged. What's previewable in RTP doesn't even exist in the render. And when you harden the colour what does finally show is not what the result is.

It's almost as if the RTP can process the opacity like it should in render, but not the render engine. Cause I'm assuming the hard edges are the hard falloff of simple shapes that doesn't actually transition to 0 smoothly like i've been talking about.

Matt

The RTP is able to render the full range of opacity values, whereas the main renderer can only do this for shadow rays until this capability is added.

I don't know what is causing the hard edge in your RTP screenshot. I'd need to know more about the shaders generating the opacity.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on January 07, 2020, 06:31:11 PMThe RTP is able to render the full range of opacity values, whereas the main renderer can only do this for shadow rays until this capability is added.

I don't know what is causing the hard edge in your RTP screenshot. I'd need to know more about the shaders generating the opacity.

I can send you the TGD. It's the normal issue I talk about when you have edge turned off, the 100%+ percent edge doesn't actually fade off to 0 gradually.

I wonder if this has to do with the "better colour calculation" you added to other shaders when I noticed this in other shaders, that fixed it there.

cyphyr

Would enabling path tracing (in the RTP, gold goblet icon) help?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on January 08, 2020, 08:25:21 AMWould enabling path tracing (in the RTP, gold goblet icon) help?
Didn't even think of that, cyphyr, I'll have to try that. Thank you.

Matt

I've reproduced the RTP opacity bug now. I'm looking into it.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.