Sunken Terraces

Started by WAS, January 31, 2021, 03:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

This has actually puzzled me for years, and curious if anyones has figured it out.

How could you do sunken terraces. Where the terrace walls are preserved, but the plateau is sunken to hold water or what not?

Thank rice patties, geothermal springs, etc.

Tangled-Universe

Hi WAS,

Just checked my harddrive and I have something from 7 years ago, but it's a bit too messy to share here right now.

What I did there was the following:
1) create second terrain chain in parallel to your original terrain which you offset negatively. The offset amount is the depth of your rice terrace.
2) add strata layer to both chains, make sure strata settings are the same. For example: Depth&Spacing @ 5, steepness 2, buildup 1 and 1 octave.
3) merge the two with a merge shader. Mix value = 0.5 and set mode to subtract.

You can problably swap 1 and 2, but that should be it!

WAS

Oh very nice! Liking the sound of it already. Going to give it a go. Thanks a bunch.

Dune

I did something like that in 2015. Different method. Here you go; stripped down basic file.

WAS

Oh cool, thank you! Also, that's a lovely image. Lighting on the palm fronds is really nice looking too.

Kadri

Ulco when looking at your file the solution looks obvious, but i wouldn't have guessed that you could do it in this way.

Dune

Most solutions are obvious, once you've found them  :P
 Some seem obvious theoretically (I always try to envision the result of a certain node combination), but just don't work as expected.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on February 05, 2021, 02:31:56 AMMost solutions are obvious, once you've found them  :P
 Some seem obvious theoretically (I always try to envision the result of a certain node combination), but just don't work as expected.

Yeah, definitely this. Lterally how it seems to be all the time. Either you find the solution and go "Oh, well that was obvious" or you have the "obvious" solution, and it doesn't work as you'd imagined it would at all and you go "Hmm". Lol

Dune

That's what keeps it fascinating and keeps the brain healthy ;D