Clouds Following Terrain ...

Started by mhall, May 26, 2017, 01:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhall

So my work involves a decent amount of driving around, and I'm always looking at terrain, skies, weather, light scattering and thinking of TG and you guys.

Recently I was in Reno tearing down/packing up my gear following an event I had photographed, when I got to see a really spectacular sunset.

Unfortunately, I was right in front of the Reno-Sparks Convention Center, with power lines and light poles, and I was operating under time constraints, so there is no great images ... but I did take one with this gang in mind.

A really great, natural example of clouds following terrain.

Dune

That is really cool! Great phenomena. Too bad you didn't have the prefect foreground.

mhall

Yeah, I would have loved to have actually been in a position to get a great image of that. It was really quite beautiful. And neat to see that Mother Nature uses TG as well!  ;D

Dune

Hannes

Wow, looks fantastic. It's really hard for most of us, I guess, to look at nature without thinking of TG...

zaxxon

I've had some wonderful moments in Reno as well looking at the high desert as the weather comes across the eastern slope of the Sierra's. Thanks for the beautiful shots, even with the wires and whatnots.

mhall

Quote from: Hannes on May 26, 2017, 09:18:41 AM
It's really hard for most of us, I guess, to look at nature without thinking of TG...

It's one of my techniques for staying alert and interested on long drives ... particularly when I'm frustrated by the fact that I can't stop and photograph. :)

mhall

Quote from: zaxxon on May 26, 2017, 01:26:36 PM
I've had some wonderful moments in Reno as well looking at the high desert as the weather comes across the eastern slope of the Sierra's. Thanks for the beautiful shots, even with the wires and whatnots.

On the whole, I'm a much larger fan of the Western side, but I have seen come beautiful country on the Eastern side - particularly further south. My sister used to live in Bishop, just down south of Mono Lake. That's some pretty country!

Oshyan

Beautiful phenomenon, thanks for sharing!

- Oshyan

El Kabong

Quote from: mhall on May 26, 2017, 07:31:02 PM
beautiful country on the Eastern side - particularly further south. My sister used to live in Bishop, just down south of Mono Lake. That's some pretty country!

Starting around Bridgeport on US 395 going south to 'bout Ridgecrest, almost any eastish route towards US 95 takes one into some fantastic geologically disturbed terrain.

Upon Infinity

Great shots! Can't say I've ever observed the phenomena myself, and when people discussed it on the forum, didn't seem realistic.  Happy to be proven wrong.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Upon Infinity on June 03, 2017, 04:00:11 AM
Great shots! Can't say I've ever observed the phenomena myself, and when people discussed it on the forum, didn't seem realistic.  Happy to be proven wrong.

ditto, you're lucky to have mountains close by that they can cling to...on the prairie it's just fog heh heh heh, but we drive thru it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist