Xfrog for Windows Full

Started by jaf, May 30, 2017, 12:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaf

I've downloaded the free trial for Xfrog and was wondering if anyone here has had any recent experience with this program?  It's on sale right now for $189 usd.  I get the feeling it hasn't changed much and wonder if it's still relevant.  It appears the Maya version gets a lot more attention, but I don't have Maya. -- Thanks
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

masonspappy

We (my former publishing company) got the Full Windows standalone edition 3.5 quite a few years ago and AFAIK that's  the same as what's being offered today.  No discernible changes in the intervening years.  It can still give you "usable" results, but for better quality you'd be better off saving your money and going to speedtree or the plant factory (personally I would wish for speedtree).  PLants and trees made with xFrog can still look quite satisfactory but *only if* you fully understand each of the many and varied parameters and how they function and are willing to spend time (a lot of it!)  playing with them.  Based on feedback I've received from other 3D artists, xFrog has turned into an 'also-ran' product that doesn't warrant attention in the same way  that speedtree does.

jaf

Thanks, I had a feeling it was somewhat "aged", but wasn't sure.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

cyphyr

$189 for Xfrog is very good bang for buck. You can pick up Xfrog Lite for $129 which is identical but minus the animation editor.
I'm don't know but I expect there are some sample trees thrown in to get you started. (yes, just checked you get 10 varieties, probably 3 of each).
There are quite a lot of free Xfrog models on their site and they often have promotions.

Although Speedtree is seen as the industry standard nowadays it is very pricey indeed but there is an under advertised version Speedtree Architects for "only" $495. Still pricey and trees are sold separately.

Don't know much about PlantFactory other than it seems to want to bring you into Cornucopias eco system ...
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

If you spare a few hundred more, I'd recommend Speedtree. Worth the investment for sure, and far easier to work with and get more diverse trees. XFrog is not very intuitive and it's harder to get the regularity out.

Ethrieltd

I don't know much myself but I spoke to a friend who has Speedtree at work. He said two things basically.

1) Speedtree over Xfrog in a heartbeat.

2) IF you use C4D/Maya then the plugin over the Win standalone, although he almost had a stroke when he found out the plugin is about $50-60 more expensive.

He also said that Speedtree is WAY more comprehensive, although with that comes the added expense, but he'd never advise a NEW USER to start with Xfrog. If you've got experience with it and then you can get decent results out of it but if you're a newcomer than it's hard to justify choosing what's essentially an inferior product.

My 2c is a little odd. I don't like Xfrog's website. It looks dated. I know this isn't the end all be all to development but...

...if they can't come out of the early 2000's there, then have they in their software?

Dune

Well, to be honest, it seems like all is not going as it should at XFrog. I was supposed to be artist of the month about now, and spent quite some time making and adjusting stuff. Sent it all, emailed, but it's very quiet out there. I really don't know how it's going, I wish them the very best, but well... enough said  :-X

jaf

Thanks again.  That pretty much supports my thoughts.

I think I'll wait a while and try my hand at using Lightwave, which I'm somewhat proficient.  Lightwave 2015 supports Python scripting so there may be so interesting things that can be done there to.

Dune

I think there are plugins to make trees in LW.

jaf

Yes, in fact I was looking at that last night and found this one: http://www.treesdesigner.com/

It has a trial, but it's crippled to the point where I can't really test it for it's final destination (Terragen.)

It's too bad someone doesn't come out with a plant/tree app that's modeled after Planetside.  Most all the offers now are more interested in generating revenue from selling content (if they make it too easy, their content sales suffer.)