Planet surface Shader and hightmap question.

Started by vissroid, December 29, 2006, 07:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vissroid

well it can be set to be on the planet right now. but when i mess with the displacement. it just pulls everyything up(or north kinda)

Oshyan

How are you applying the displacement? It looks like you're doing it only along one axis. If you have the option through your method to displace "along normal", that would be the best setting.

- Oshyan

vissroid

Im using the displacement in the image shader that the bumpmap is attached to.

So it has no displace along normal setting.

I've even tried using the displacement shader with the image shader(the image shader has the bumpmap already mapped out) and used the "along normal setting". that did the same thing. lol

Oshyan

This may be due to the spherical projection. You will probably want to use a different Displacement shader with more control - the Default Shader or Displacement Shader would be good. You can then feed the Image Map shader into that (remember that outputs can be split so you don't need to create a different Image Map shader for this purpose). Let us know if that doesn't solve the issue.

- Oshyan

vissroid

this seems to be the spot now!

I have the bumpmap in there makin the planet's shape. and now with displacement Im getting the hills/mountains/canyons and etc. now. now its a matter of getting the lake working right. cant really tell the hieght to things. adn the previewer hates me on showing where the water is at. lol

but it's def gettin me there now. :D

I'll give more feedback when I come up with something new. and once I get this all figured out. I may even make a tutorial.

and thank you so much javajones. you've been such a great help.

heres my update: seems water is a problem. the planet surface shader did this on its own wich was nice. but it seems to be a hassle to get water all over the planet. I tried upping the radius to the same as the planet; thinking this would be the way to go; then up the hieght; but didnt seem to work. I'll mess with it some more.

for the moment I'm just using a shader to make the color of the water and made a water shader as it's child. lol

vissroid

well java.

here's our lil project. rofl.

only thing missing is real water and the ability to make it so theres only clouds around the equator. :D

Oshyan

Very nice. Quite a mountainous planet. :D

For water you shouldn't use the "Lake" object - instead just use a water or reflective shader and apply it as a surface map/layer by height or masking. This gives you essentially the same qualities as water (reflection, mostly) and doesn't have the same issues for large scale as the lake object does. The lake object is really designed for more confined areas of water.

There is a way to confine *texturing* to equatorial (or non-equatorial) areas, but I don't think it would work with clouds. However there may be an alternative. The method for textures is simply to use slope constraints and check "Use Y for slope". This will confine surfaces essentially by north/south positioning.

- Oshyan