Based off of MHaze columnar rocks files

Started by JDB, June 12, 2017, 06:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDB

This is my first post, I've been interested in creating my own worlds for a bit now, i have some CADD experience in the past that introduced me to the 3D world. I've had terragen for a bit now, and decided to really try and learn it this last week. I would have had no idea where to start on this without MHaze's columnar rocks scene. I'm still really terrible at surface colors and such, but i am really happy with this scene's rocks, except maybe some finer cracks in the rock. Any and all critiques are welcome.

DannyG

1st welcome to the forums! Surface cracks are very nice. As you mentioned some shader and lighting work will get this moving rather quickly as you are off to a nice start. Cheers
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

mhaze

Welcome, very nice rocks.  Glad to someone is using the files ;)

bobbystahr

I echo the Welcome and though I dl'd this I have totally forgotten to inspect it so I dunno how the Shaders are set up but might I suggest adding a Child to 1 shader at a time and see where it covers up the existing texture, then adjust with the slope restrictions in the Child Shader, also the Fractal breakup in the Child is a good control. Then add a Power Fractal shader in the colour slot and colour away...good luck ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

Welcome :)
And nice start with those rocks!