Controlling displacement

Started by N-drju, June 13, 2017, 03:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I am about to loose my mind over a stupidly trivial issue. :'(

How can you control the altitude up to which a displacement is distributed?

To put it in perspective - I wanted to make an island and a beach and I have created a displaced terrain to imitate nice "sand waves" along the shore. It went fine, but now I am left with said sand wave displacement all the way up to the mountain tops! :'( All I want is the sand ripples to reach out to about 20 meters above sea level and that's it.

Distribution shader does not work and I cannot mask the power fractal responsible for the sand, because the fractal is already masked by warped simple shape shaders that make up for the island's shape/shoreline. I am completely helpless...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I'm pretty sure it can be made to work, but I really wonder why distribution shader doesn't work. It should! As would a surface shader. Can you post the tgd?

N-drju

I'm at work now, so unfortunately not. But this is how it looks like more or less:

Goofy looking. Sorry. :(

Also note that the value in the distribution shader is set to said 20 units but the displacement still continues all the way up.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Looks like my beach setup  ;) If so, good of you not to post. I suggest adding a surface layer masked by the upper set, and adding the sand PF as child onto that masked surface shader. Then you have 2 mask inputs, if you get my point, ánd you can use the surface shader's controls. I hope that would solve the issue.

N-drju

Really? :o So sorry! I assure you this is 100% my independent work, no details from your "simple beach" NWDA item! Well, not purposefully at least! I'm removing the pic now.

Hm, true - how could I forget about children? :P Sounds like it could work...

Dune

I don't mind the pic, no worries. If independent, good work  ;) Hope it works.

Oshyan

Distribution Shader won't work unless there is a Compute node before it... (unless you're using Y as altitude/slope)

- Oshyan

N-drju

We are talking surface shader - is there some technical difference between the two?

Oshyan

Nope. In order to determine the slope of the surface you need it to be "computed" (vs. the simple spherical shape of the undisplaced planet).

- Oshyan