Animations

Started by jaikez, June 15, 2017, 03:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaikez

Will i be able to produce any quality video animations on a home pc but powerfull computer say in under  12 hours rendering time  for maybe 3 minutes of video time ?  Because i will never be able to afford or want to  use a video rendering farm ?

archonforest

This cannot be answered with the data you supplied. But you might able to do something very low res, low in details and with low AA.
A 3 minutes video is about 4320 frames. If your PC can render each of these frames in about 1 minutes then it will take 72 hours to render.

Last time I rendered a 10 sec video in mid resolution and low-mid details. It took about 13 hours on a dual quad xeon 2.6Ghz rig.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

3 minutes of frames rendered in Terragen is a lot of frames and it's unfortunately not very likely that you'll be able to render that in good quality on a single home PC. Especially if you want to include newer, higher quality features like the new "Easy Clouds". Rendering in Terragen 4 is faster than ever (especially for objects), but it still takes more than 1m/frame for most scenes, even on good hardware.

If you want to render that much animation your best option would probably be a render farm. That's additional cost of course, but if you're not in a hurry to get all the frames, you can do it at low priority for a surprisingly low cost: http://planetside.co.uk/news/pixel-plow-is-the-official-render-farm-of-planetside-software/

- Oshyan

jaikez

I am planning to build a new computer in a few months , of course it will be a powerhouse computer  for 3d graphics , so i guess i will have to see how fast it can render in this program .

Oshyan

Depending on your budget, you might want to take a look at some used workstations on eBay. I got a fantastic deal for $1800 on a dual CPU, 2.9Ghz, 8 core-per-CPU workstation with a RAID 0 SSD array and Quadro graphics card, the thing is built like a tank. :D Alternatively take a look at AMD's Threadripper CPUs for possible better bang-for-your-buck vs. Intel. Whatever you get, the increased competition between AMD and Intel will be good for you. :)

- Oshyan

jaikez

Thanks very much for the ideas . I will check it out .

Oshyan

You're welcome. I should mention that the machine I bought is also in the top ten on the old Terragen 3 benchmark. :D

- Oshyan