Hold out objects

Started by DocCharly65, June 16, 2017, 03:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Has there something changed in the usage of the holdout function in rendering objects?

I tried several times but it seems to have no effect if I choose "hold out" in the rendering functions.

so far I used a workaround by setting all colors of objects to 0 (black) if I want to get the black hold out effect. But at the moment I want to get a holdout mask with some pops with plants having many object parts... to change all parts to black is quite hard...

In TG 3 it was just easily done by setting the object to "Hold out"

What is my mistake?

Oshyan

It does appear that Holdout rendering is broken in the latest TG4 version! Surprising that this was not noticed before, thank you for the report. We'll work on a fix which will be available in a future update.

- Oshyan

DocCharly65

I can understand that it was not so often used. I know only two (forum members) who used it - Hannes and me for our exotic mask-generating to get sharp space ships in motion blurred background.  :)

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on June 17, 2017, 04:22:57 PM
I can understand that it was not so often used. I know only two (forum members) who used it - Hannes and me for our exotic mask-generating to get sharp space ships in motion blurred background.  :)

Did I? I don't remember... ;D ;D ;D Getting old...

DocCharly65

I thought you used it in your StarWars film for the blying Beatle... but possibly I am wrong... anyway you told me the trick for my viper in the desert being rendered sharp with a motion blurred background...  :)

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on June 18, 2017, 10:41:25 AM
I thought you used it in your StarWars film for the blying Beatle... but possibly I am wrong... anyway you told me the trick for my viper in the desert being rendered sharp with a motion blurred background...  :)

Maybe... I really don't remember. Oh, boy... ::)

SILENCER

Holdouts still not functioning?

For those of you currently vexxed by this, you can always add a constant shader as the last thing in the chain and assign the proper color and alpha values there, then just have comp use the black and white image as a luma matte.

Matt

This has been fixed in 4.1.15.frontier on Windows. If you're on Windows you can check for updates within the app now and should see this build available to you. Mac and Linux builds will follow soon.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.