How's the weather outside?

Started by N-drju, June 20, 2017, 06:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I am an environmental kind of guy. I do not deny that climate change is man-made.

However, I do raise my eyebrows when constantly viewing magazine and newspaper leads that read "Hottest year in recorded history".

There is a heatwave rampaging through California, or so I heard, with temperatures going very high. But at the same time, when I look at weather patterns in my country, Poland to be more precise, I must say that this year is one of those rare few in recent times that I would call perfectly normal. Traditional weather pattern - is the correct word I guess...

Early in 2017, we had plenty of snow. Throughout the year, up to this point, we are having regular, healthy amounts of rainfall and temperatures have never raised above 29 degrees so far. This year is just like the weather was 25 years ago, when global warming science was still in its infancy and the Earth was (a little bit) cleaner.

This is why I consider these "hot year", heatwave and other alarming news rather perplexing if not plain made-up... What's the point of terrorizing people with some extreme weather news? I mean, of course there are quite a few problems in this respect, but this year they are mostly localized and not globe-encompassing.

I, for one thing, am completely satisfied. This year is soooo much better from the last one. In 2016 we had crazy-ape bananas, tropical temperatures as hot as 38 degs for a whole month, melting hair off people's skulls! How can anyone say that this year is "bad"?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I guess news is always biased towards 'the spectacular', overdoing it a bit (or a bit more) to be heard. But good that you have such a normal year. Globally, and statistically, I'd say we're in for more and more extremes. I recall from my youth (and I may have forgotten half) that summers were quite equally nice and stable. Now we have temperatures rising and falling hard in weeks, or even days.

Kadri

Quote from: N-drju on June 20, 2017, 06:32:01 AM
...I mean, of course there are quite a few problems in this respect, but this year they are mostly localized and not globe-encompassing.

The problem lies in this sentence. They measure it globaly and in average of years.

archonforest

N-drju the papers will never say something is normal or nice as that is not shocking. News are fabricated. So even if the weather is normal they have to say something extreme otherwise people will not buy the papers? It sounds tricky and twisted but that is media these days. Twisted and pervert to the max. Even with the weather hehe...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

@ Kadri - I'm sure scientists do that. But that doesn't change the fact mentioned several times here that local, peculiar events are exaggerated and sensationalized.

Attila is right saying that journalism has nothing to do with journalism anymore. Weather journalism even... All things considered - journalism has "dieded" along with common reason long time ago.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Upon Infinity

Lots of disinfo around this topic.  Question everything... 

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on June 20, 2017, 09:40:34 AM
I recall from my youth (and I may have forgotten half) that summers were quite equally nice and stable.

That's what most people (at our age) always say. I have the same memory. But is it really true, or just romanticised? I also think that time ran much slower then.

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on June 21, 2017, 10:16:10 AM
Quote from: Dune on June 20, 2017, 09:40:34 AM
I recall from my youth (and I may have forgotten half) that summers were quite equally nice and stable.

That's what most people (at our age) always say. I have the same memory. But is it really true, or just romanticised? I also think that time ran much slower then.

I think as a child we didn't care much about the wether...more our mothers. And yes time run slower :)

Hannes couldn't resist. Your post reminded me about this. 1975 my last year in Germany.
"Rudi Carrell - When will it be ones again a real summer..?

Dune

Dune

You guys are so funny at times. That's why I like this forum so much (not because of anything else)  :P

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on June 22, 2017, 01:50:45 AM
You guys are so funny at times. That's why I like this forum so much (not because of anything else)  :P

Yeah no need for too much seriousnes at least all the time.

The last replay on the other thread from Hannes about his guy as a pilot on my crashed spaceships really made me lough out loud :)

Hannes

Yes, now that I'm getting older, I'd say, laughing is almost as good as sex.

Almost...

...and you can laugh twice in a row...