Rendering Pyramids

Started by dorianvan, June 26, 2017, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorianvan

Has anyone ever tried rendering pyramids? I get weird saturations, color bleeds, and lines/dark circles on some of them. I tried it on an empty scene and it still did it.
-Dorian

bobbystahr

I've sometims got this with .obj imports and if I run them thru PoseRay first and hit 'Recalculate normals' in the Groups tab it sorts that out; at least for me.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

dorianvan

I don't have poseray. If you get a second, would you mind making a few pyramids and recalculate the normals? Then render them from a low angle with some shading side showing to see if you get the same problem. If your's work, maybe you could send them to me to try. Thanks Bobby.
-Dorian

bobbystahr

Quote from: dorianvan on June 26, 2017, 02:04:24 PM
I don't have poseray. If you get a second, would you mind making a few pyramids and recalculate the normals? Then render them from a low angle with some shading side showing to see if you get the same problem. If your's work, maybe you could send them to me to try. Thanks Bobby.

Actually I did that but with the pyramids I made in Imagine3D and exported as .lwo  looked O K bo unchanged and with recalculate normals engaged.
here's a zip of the two as .obj, let me know if they're better and if so I'll happily gonvert er convert yours for you.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: dorianvan on June 26, 2017, 11:55:05 AM
Has anyone ever tried rendering pyramids? I get weird saturations, color bleeds, and lines/dark circles on some of them. I tried it on an empty scene and it still did it.

could that be cloud shadows?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

dorianvan

Not shadows, some sort of GI problem. Thanks, I'll try your pyramids and let you know.
-Dorian

dorianvan

No dice. Your pyramids same as mine.
-Dorian

Oshyan

Looks like a GI issue. What are your GI settings, including those for GISD? Try disabling GISD.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Kadri

Your sun is very low. Look at the soft shadow options in the Sunlight settings.
If you have it "On" it might be the reason at least for the different underside look on the pyramids.

dorianvan

Thanks Kadri, sun is real low (3), however it happens even when it's high. Soft shadows are off.
@Oshyan, I turned off GISD, not sure what it will do to the rest of the image, but it took off the marks on the pyramids, however the saturation this looks off. The pyramids are one object with the same material.
-Dorian

dorianvan

Quote from: Oshyan on June 26, 2017, 04:43:30 PM
Looks like a GI issue. What are your GI settings, including those for GISD? Try disabling GISD.

The settings were default 1,1,24
-Dorian

KlausK

hi dorianvan

here is a file that seems to work ok.
At least I cannot make out any artifacts on the pyramids on my monitor.
Compare the sunlight settings. I turned off a few things.
Important seems to be cranking up GI cache detail and GI sample detail, I found.
Turning on Supersample Prepass seems to have the most influence, though.
This all leads longer render times, unfortunately.
The artifacts appear in different places on the objects when changing settings.
Makes it kinda hard to debug...

If that is for a animation as well I would not waste too much time on this now.
Perhaps you could hide some of the artifacts with a little noise on the objects or something...?

Good luck!
cheers, Klaus

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Oshyan

Indeed, my next suggestion was going to be to increase GI settings, particularly Sample Quality. Try a value of 4, for example, for sample quality. You could also try increasing the GI Blur Radius a bit, maybe 20 or so (default is 8).

- Oshyan

dorianvan

Thanks Klaus, but when you go to a low camera angle it's there again.
@Oshyan, thanks but I upped every GI, padding, etc. setting I could think of already. When I upped the blur radius it smoothed it out much like turning off GISD, but the weird darker saturation of the farther pyramid and lighting on the big one was still there. Matt told me this is a bug, worked on it, sent me a new build to test. So I will install today and try it out.
-Dorian