More Columnar

Started by luvsmuzik, June 27, 2017, 12:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Dune on September 13, 2017, 01:57:55 AM
Is that bleached out effect on purpose? You don't really see any overhangs now.

EDIT: I'll add some stuff to this setup for you to play; see file share later.

Oh cool! Thanks!
I was so carried away with my clouds, I didn't really do a good camera angle on that one ^^^^. Here is another POV without the clouds.  :) Soft shadows @ 1.5 and 18. I really want some water in there....like a dripping water fall..but oh well :)

bobbystahr

Now that's a really nice POV...water dripping  is a chimera
Definition of chimera
:an illusion or fabrication of the mind; especially :an unrealizable dream
a fancy, a chimera in my brain, troubles me in my prayer —John Donne
His utopia was a chimera.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

:)Thank you bobby! I learn something here everyday.
I too am watching, learning from others about vector displacement. I know the simple road setup with the simple shape shader uses a curving method. I am trying to figure out how the preview for terrain is similar in this overhang strata tgd. Some of my experiments are rather bizarre and others not so bad. I get my xyz confused also, so go figure, ha. Always fun. :)

luvsmuzik

Generated terrain, strata, displacements, and water with low reflection and volume density.
Schmeerlap's  2012 hidden waterhole tutorial modified.

Dune

You should think about fractals as (invisible) clouds in the TG space; whites do something, blacks do nothing, negative 'blacks' also do something, especially if unclamped. So modulate those unseen fractals to patterns you need (stretching, adding, subtracting, mixing, masking...), and apply them to a terrain (after the firstly modified terrain has been calculated).
Color adjust does a hard clamp, if you use a (blue node) smooth step scalar, you can make a smooth step of your greys.
It's not always easy to see what you're doing as such, but a test surface layer can give you an idea if you plug the texture in, or even a big (vertical) card object if you texture that with your mix of greys).

luvsmuzik

@Dune, working on those very things. Thanks for that explanation! I shall also concentrate on the masked SSS for the displacement area.  ;D Missed that when on this POV.
Here is another render of the overhang strata tgd.

Before I spend a few hours messing with these clouds anymore, can anyone tell me if the noisy noise in the clouds is due to the micropoly detail and AA limits of the free version? I have edge sharpness set at 75 I think and voxel at 80. It is a just a default cloud V4, but height is 5000.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: KlausK on July 02, 2017, 09:42:46 AM
hi, luvsmuzik.
The lower part of "sunrise strata 2" has the right size for the vertical structures, imo.
Embedded in a major other rock structure (smaller, rougher) this could be a more diverse and interesting view, I can imagine.
Using it on a complete hill/mountain-side is a bit too much for my taste.
Keep tweaking.
Cheers, Klaus

I took this to heart and dissected the displacements on this file, (mhaze Columnar Rocks file share) backing off a little and changing some slope values. I also isolated the smaller displacements and lowered them as they were making my grassy areas do weird things...duh... ;D

Added a simple shape stream and lowered exposure a tad.

bobbystahr

Now that's coming along nicely...it's really all about scale in all things.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Thanks bobbystahr and Kadri!

Flipping around through different files today. Did this one Dune's Overhang Strata, before I realized you are suppose to concentrate on the distribution shader's simple shape coordinates...

Oh well, I got some overhangs anyhow. I will work on it.  :) 500m lake, way shorter render time. :)
Mr. Lampost's bushpak from file shares.

Dune

It's often useful to have this redirect or vector displacement localized, so not to have the obvious sideways displacements everywhere.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 18, 2017, 02:03:59 AM
It's often useful to have this redirect or vector displacement localized, so not to have the obvious sideways displacements everywhere.

So I noticed...lots to retain in that set up. In my messing around I mainly played with the seeds going into the vector displace and the numbers in the Vector Displace itself till I got my croc nose overhang
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Playing with simple shape shader and ambient occlusion.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on September 20, 2017, 11:05:07 AM
Playing with simple shape shader and ambient occlusion.

Nicely done.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

From file sharing nice strata setup   http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23627.msg239126.html#msg239126

Setup uses an alpine fractal and explanation of how to alter seed and other variables  :)
Working on incorporating terrain to surround ....