Does anyone here calibrate their monitor?

Started by Ethrieltd, June 27, 2017, 08:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethrieltd

I had a weird thought before...

There's no guarantee that my (or anyone else's) render look the same to anyone else as they look to me. I guess it's more prevalent among people that work with print/graphics but I wonder how many people bother to calibrate their monitor.

I know how my renders look to me...

Kadri

Now i just use the Windows 10 calibration app.
One of my last renders looked quite dark-contrasty on some smartphones.
Not sure but my settings looked ok. Many see images too dark (or bright) probably.

Dune

That's always a problem, especially when artwork is being printed. Some of my work has been printed too dark in books, though other work (such as the 80m museum wall, luckily) came out just the same as I see it. But I never calibrated, don't want to buy special devices for it.

Dune

Thanks Kadri. That's what I have done one or two times in the past (win 7 though). But printing demands its own color profiles (each printer uses another profile, I learned) and that gets much deeper than this. But I never really bothered, and it kinda works.

Kadri

Yes printing is another thing. Would be great if we get WYSIWYG all the time :)

René

I always store images for the internet as sRGB, although that standard seems to be outdated.
For printing it is more difficult because, as Dune says, each printing press and paper type yields a different result. Making test prints and adjusting your monitor accordingly can prevent annoying surprises.

Ethrieltd

Quote from: René on June 28, 2017, 05:07:50 AM
I always store images for the internet as sRGB, although that standard seems to be outdated.
For printing it is more difficult because, as Dune says, each printing press and paper type yields a different result. Making test prints and adjusting your monitor accordingly can prevent annoying surprises.

I'd add to this viewing it on a few different devices, tablets/phones, etc to give a gerneral idea of how it might look to other people.