Stair Way to Heaven

Started by Artofgp, July 06, 2017, 10:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artofgp

Here's a work in progress of my current concept. It's based off of the world I am creating called Genesis.

I will be experimenting more with cloud formations/settings and possibly the lighting too. Oh, and add survivors journeying at the foreground

Any critiques would be appreciated!

Dune

The landscape and lighting looks very good, but I'm not sure about the stairway. It doesn't look like a stairway, but like a darker plane object set upright sort of. You want C&C, you get it  ;)

Artofgp

Thank you, guys!

Quote from: Dune on July 07, 2017, 02:31:02 AM
The landscape and lighting looks very good, but I'm not sure about the stairway. It doesn't look like a stairway, but like a darker plane object set upright sort of. You want C&C, you get it  ;)

This is what I needed to hear ;) because I thought the haze would take away the detail since it's far away and thought it was just fine!  The model is only a rectangle right now with a displacement image I created for a hull ship...  but the displacement map doesn't seem to have worked at all. I'll replace the model with the Actual interstellar colony ship full with details and displaced maps. Hopefully it'll read better than a simple plane look ;D

Technically, it's not a stairway but a term used in my story about reaching God. But in actuality, the stairway is an ancient Ruin-like tower of an incident that occurred thousands of years ago. It's pretty much the babel tower but in futuristic way.

Thanks Again, Dune.

luvsmuzik

Check out the use of the card object or the use of the transform input node. Even though the object properties shader has a place for displacement images, sometimes you have to do a work around with additional node setups.
Great start! :)

bobbystahr

Bear in mind that on objects other than the procedurals displacement is a bump map unless you enable Force Displacement. See pic
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Artofgp

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 07, 2017, 10:45:12 AM
Bear in mind that on objects other than the procedurals displacement is a bump map unless you enable Force Displacement. See pic

You're the man, Bobby! Thank you for the information and the pic. I'll give it a try when I get back home!

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 07, 2017, 10:11:15 AM
Check out the use of the card object or the use of the transform input node. Even though the object properties shader has a place for displacement images, sometimes you have to do a work around with additional node setups.
Great start! :)

Thank you, Luvsmuzik! I'll experiment some more then :)