GI problem?

Started by bigben, July 11, 2017, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I had a similar issue in a previous animation test and figured I must be missing something.  I get a mix of very dark and "normal" frames running an animation.  TG4, pretty much a default project with the animation check settings adopted.   Any suggestions?

[edit] adding the TGD

Dune

I don't know much about animation, but did you make a GI prepass, later called in and blended over a number of frames? Perhaps the eye is so small the GI detail needs to be raised? Or padding of ray detail or GI prepass in the render advanced tab?

bigben

No caching of GI, just the default render sequence. The eye is 5m ;)  The only things that's animated is the camera

I had a similar problem with a full globe sequence. I was only rendering every 3 frames then, but of those 3/4 were darker than expected including areas that were lit.

cyphyr

Very odd, I downloaded your tgd and rendered the same sequence and had no problems.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bigben

Thanks for checking. That's a relief in one sense.

bigben

I had a pending Windows update, and or I think my laptop was just tired. Working OK after a reboot.

KlausK

Hm, I am out of luck here.
Frames 1,2, and 3 render only the dark reflection. First frame in light green is frame 4.
I ran a few render series during the day and had weird stuff going on in the first frames.
Once frame 2 rendered half dark and half green, on one occasion the frame rendered completely
black, even though the pre-calculated dots while rendering clearly showed the greenish colour.
I also rendered the 80 frame long animation and there were a few more (3-4) darker images
in between besides the first three frames.
My system specs are in the footnote. Windows update ran the last time today
with a few important and recommended updates installing.
I am curious now what might cause this and what my machine is missing...
Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

cyphyr

I did wonder if it's down to low resources but we all have reasonably powerful systems. It's not very scientific but I do see Terragen (and other programs) simply "giving up" on some tasks, without error messages or anything.
Odd ...
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bigben

I'll keep an eye out for his  ::)
My earth model uses around 5Gb of RAM to load at the moment before dropping back down so I'm likely to push the resources of my little laptop to the limit fairly frequently

Kadri

I tried to change some different settings.
There are too many things to change of course but nothing worked from what i tried.
It looked at first as it was resolution depending. But then more random...it renders correctly sometimes.
Kind of a bug probably. Even a basic white sphere looks sometimes much different(i am always suspious of reflection,water shaders in Terragen).
Curious what the problem is.

Dune

There was something like this happening in pyramids Dorian was rendering, and believe Matt had some fix (but not sure).

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on July 13, 2017, 02:22:30 AM
There was something like this happening in pyramids Dorian was rendering, and believe Matt had some fix (but not sure).

Yes could be that one .

dorianvan

Ben, does it do the same thing when you simply render frame 1 from the general tab, without going to the render sequence? Try unchecking GISD too. I've rendered several frames with a version that Matt gave me to try and I don't have an issue with the frames.
-Dorian

Oshyan

We do have a fix in an upcoming 4.1 release for some GI-related issues. But you should also almost *always* be using GI caching if you are animating.

- Oshyan

KlausK

This issue is NOT related to rendering out sequences.
In my tests I tried sequences and single frame rendering.
Using the scene file bigben posted frames 1,2 and 3 are always dark (on my machine).
Frame 4 is the first which renders correctly here.
Hopefully the fix gets this.
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)