Problems with Bitmaps..

Started by zionner, September 16, 2007, 07:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionner

Hi all

I have a problem when Using bitmaps (Like the Texture files used in games) I've Concerted all the files from 3DS to Obj through poseray...and I have all of the Maps Applied on to the object in Pose ray...but when I import it into a picture in TG it comes out with No bitmaps...

Anyone have any idea whats going on?

Thanks
Zionner

Harvey Birdman

Yeah, this comes up all the time. The usual cause is a space in the path to a texture. TG2 doesn't like spaces in file names/paths. Move all the images into the same directory as the .obj and .mtl. Open the .mtl with a text editor (NotePad) and edit the paths to give just the file name (the relative path to the file, which is now in the same directory).

zionner

I had a look over the mtl files and all of the objects in use in TG have no spaces in their path names..

I had a look over the shader..and It looks like its coming out as a load of...dots?

Harvey Birdman

Well - so much for the easy fix.   ;) 

That doesn't sound like one I'm familiar with.

zionner

Ok, Thanks for your help :D

Anyone else have any ideas?

Edit: This probably has nothing to do with it, but do you think quality settings may have a factor in it?

Harvey Birdman

If all else fails and you can't get it to work you can email me the model and I'll take a look at it, if you like.

zionner

Ok, Im sending it in a PM now..Cause I have no idea whats wrong..Do you want me to send the Bitmap as well?

Harvey Birdman

Yeah, zip the textures up and send me the whole thing. No guarantees, but I'll take a look.

:)

zionner

is there an E-mail i can send it to As PM dosent allow you to sena attachments

DeathTwister

My quick sents as well about file names.
I. have found the best way to make file naming is to one, never have spaces in names,
2. never use underscores like we do all the time as some apps hate that very much, and really bad when working with video game engines.
3. I always use a period/dot Between names when using naming conventions as it works pretty much cross platform instead of underscores.
4. and textures should always be to the power of 2 in sizing, like 256x1024, or 512x512 and so on when making textures.
5. tgd2 does not support multi textures or sub mapping yet, and that can kill us for those that use this for making things in larger apps or if we wanted to bring in people. Although I have not tried to import a .obj person in yet, I am pretty sure it won't fly.  But please oh please say I am wrong /smiles......

DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Harvey Birdman

zionner

Thanks for The Tips Death,

I have got One of my models to Texture Correctly..and I can see the diffrence in the two...So Before I do anything Im going to try and see if this changes anything...

Thanks

zionner

I've Fixed it now, The Problem was in the mtl file, on most cases the Textures were being told to blend...So All I need to do is correct that, and everything works,

Thanks for your help! I'll be posting the Screenshots soon ;)

Thanks again
Zionner