Fully procedural planet

Started by Denis Sirenko, July 23, 2017, 09:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormlord

WOW !
I didn't know that you are working on a procedural Planet, it looks great Denis!

How did you create the Phytoplankton Clouds in the Oceans?

STORMLORD

Here's my earth, made years ago in 3D Studiomax (with Maps).
http://www.dirkkipper.de/Galerie_3D_Studiomax/3D_Studiomax_04/index.php

Denis Sirenko

Thank you, Dirk!

I was on your website. Your Earth looks amazing, crazy detailing and rendering in natural colors. Excellent.

My phytoplankton – it's just cyan color along the shoreline. It was generated exactly like all other colors on the planet.

Ariel DK

Hi denis, welcome to the forum

I've working in my own similar project of a planet in terragen, you can see my thread here: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19476.0.html
Well, is the earth indeed, but many similar concepts are applicable here. for example: for my oceans I used the solution that Dune suggested you, and works.
I used a global DEM for continents, and another for bathymetry, which made things much easier than all procedural displacement.
my work was mostly focused in clouds, but the yours is much more, well... procedural maybe? :P
I attached a pic of a volumetric gas planet. just very warped clouds, but its a similar technique than your continents i think.
another thing, is that you can also add icy poles to your planet easily, with large values of max/min altitude contraist to mask that zones.
like also auroras. dont doubt to send me a PM for any ask, and please, can you explain me again the general process of your planet?

Pd: the english isnt my lenguage, and the russian is translated much better to the spanish than to english, so russian its ok. ;)
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Denis Sirenko

Hi, Ariel!

Quote from: Ariel DK on November 03, 2017, 10:48:14 PM
I've working in my own similar project of a planet in terragen, you can see my thread here: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19476.0.html
Well, is the earth indeed, but many similar concepts are applicable here. for example: for my oceans I used the solution that Dune suggested you, and works.

Yes, I saw the post. Indeed, many solutions work well for me. Therefore, in truth, I have not tried to apply Dune's proposal in practice, because right now I'm completely focused on creating procedural nebulae (http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23403.90.html). So I'll be back to developing the planet after a while. Maybe in a few months.

I used a global DEM for continents, and another for bathymetry, which made things much easier than all procedural displacement.

Yes, it's easier. And I would do it if I had to create an image of the Earth. But I have another task. I need to get a magic button that would generate a planet, but with a unique pattern of continents, oceans, clouds, etc. And I need planets not only of terrestrial type, but also, for example, desert, arid, volcanic and so on... This is a completely different task, but there are mutual problems.

my work was mostly focused in clouds, but the yours is much more, well... procedural maybe? :P

Yes, they procedurally look, thank you for the remark. But I'm satisfied with this quality so far. Then we'll see. Maybe I can spend time improving them.

I attached a pic of a volumetric gas planet. just very warped clouds, but its a similar technique than your continents i think.

Yes, it looks like this. In my continents there is nothing special, just setting up warpers and power fractals.

another thing, is that you can also add icy poles to your planet easily, with large values of max/min altitude contraist to mask that zones. like also auroras.

Yes, this is a true observation. I will do this when I return to the planet. The pole should add great to realism. By the time of the auroras - I'm not sure that I will do this.

dont doubt to send me a PM for any ask, and please, can you explain me again the general process of your planet?

Ok, thank you!
I have already explained the process here. Specifically, what exactly interests?

Pd: the english isnt my lenguage, and the russian is translated much better to the spanish than to english, so russian its ok. ;)

Ok, in PM I can write in Russian.

luvsmuzik

Great to watch the development of this. Glad you are sharing here!

eapilot

Denis,
Thank you for the reply.
For Warpers, do you use warp merge shaders, warp input shaders, or both? I don't understand what billet is.  That might have got lost in translation.

Dune

In a warp input shader the input is warped by the warper (second input); in a warp merge, the main input is kept as it is, but all stuff in the other input is warped by warpers, so you add a warped line of shaders to an existing not-to-be-warped line.

Ariel DK

Thanks Denis
everything is clear now. PM is just if someday I start some similar project, and I would like to ask you for any doubt that appear on the way.
glad to hear that you gonna still on this
good luck
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: luvsmuzik on November 19, 2017, 11:06:48 AM
Great to watch the development of this. Glad you are sharing here!

Thanks!

Quote from: eapilot on November 20, 2017, 02:01:58 PM
Thank you for the reply.
For Warpers, do you use warp merge shaders, warp input shaders, or both?

You are welcome!
Dune said everything exactly about their difference. I used warp-input, and this is very important. The thing is that before the warping the set of soils (colors) should already be formed. For example, in the form of a simple initial geometry. I called it a billet (I am Russian:). But in fact it is some sort of simple form (circle, simple fractal pattern), painted in the right colors. Something that (the length of this peninsula is about 2000 km.):

[attachimg=1]

At the stage of warping, no new soils (colors) are added in this way. We only distort what is already there. Therefore, I used several sequential input-wapers. Because if you just put another distorted layer on top of one distorted layer (via simple merge mode), you'll get some crap. In nature, a very rare situation occurs when one layer of soil does not take into account another layer of soil.

Quote from: Ariel DK on November 21, 2017, 10:37:56 AM
PM is just if someday I start some similar project, and I would like to ask you for any doubt that appear on the way.
glad to hear that you gonna still on this
good luck

Thanks! No problem! I can not always answer immediately, but always in the end I try to do it.