Nebulae

Started by Denis Sirenko, July 26, 2017, 07:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormlord

Quote from: Denis Sirenko on August 29, 2017, 07:23:57 AM
Dirk, by the way, and over the nebula, small stars are still needed. Some of them are very bright behind the nebula, and some of them are closer than the nebula itself, but more dim. In general, the number of stars over nebula can vary, but they are, although there are fewer than in open space. I'm not talking about big stars, they're fine.

[attach=1]
Before this tip

[attach=2]
After this Tip
Yes, it gets a better 3D Effect in the picture, good hint Dennis...

[attach=3]
A short photo love story or how this picture has been created

[attach=4]
In CS Poposhop
Several nebulas with different colors has been combined, 5 dust cloud layers superimposed, 3 different starfields (one over the dust clouds partially transparent, 2 below) + big painted stars

STORMLORD

Oshyan

Micropoly Detail has essentially no effect on cloud and atmosphere quality when Defer Atmo is enabled. Set it to 0.1 if you don't have any non-atmosphere/cloud elements in your scene (as it seems is the case in these).

- Oshyan

Dune

Exactly what I said.

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: Dune on August 30, 2017, 10:38:29 AM
With these settings it's quite logical you get grain; AA5 is not very high, especially without defer atmo. If you try this with defer atmo on, mp detail 0.1 (my guess that would work) and AA minimum of 6, maybe 8, you probably loose the grain.

Sometimes I set AA=7 and switch on Defer atmo if I expect noise. Below in the picture you can see how little noise with AA = 7. But for so long!

Dune, Oshyan... you made me do some experiment. I made two renderings. One with MP details 0.1 and the other with MP details 0.1. Other settings: AA=7 and Defer atmo = on.

[attach=1]

There is no difference. That is expected, since there are no objects, the processing of which takes resources and time. So I'm still not sure if I need to reduce MP details. All the same does not work. And I was wrong about the fact that the noise depends on the Micropoly detail.

Quote from: Stormlord on August 31, 2017, 11:00:03 AM
Good colors, fine details, excellent setup except the noise.. How many clouds did you put in this scene?

Thanks, Dirk! This is a quadruple cloud, as in most cases.

Quote from: Stormlord on August 31, 2017, 12:19:25 PM
Yes, it gets a better 3D Effect in the picture, good hint Dennis...

Great thing! Although it seems to me now that there are too many stars, but it is a matter of taste.
And one more thing. If we see a star occupying more than 1 pixel, then its middle should be white.

[attach=2]

The stars themselves are very small for us, and we see only their glare (except the Sun). And if something hinders the star, for example the nebula, then circle of the star becomes smaller and we see glare, but not a gray circle of the same diameter. And if the star was 1 pixel in size, then its middle becomes gray (or gets color), and the glayer decreases. Or the star hides completely.

Dune

Interesting to see that there's actually no difference in render time. I would not have expected that.

Oshyan

If there is no terrain/planet, then it's not surprising that decreasing micropoly detail has little or no effect. But it's important to know you don't need high settings and that in fact, with Defer Atmo, the Micropoly Detail has no real effect on quality.

- Oshyan

Denis Sirenko

Yes, Oshyan, thank you, that's what I wanted to hear.

Denis Sirenko

The new nebula is ready! It's called Gelfon-Esto.

All the nebulae rendered in Terragen. Stars and composition - Photoshop.
There are 4 clouds (two yellow on the left and two blue on the right) that I rendered separately. Total time of render is about 85 hours. And also many pieces of old clouds for dark and light thin layers in the foreground.

[attachimg=1]

Dune

Awesome, but a hell of a render time. Was that for this size?

Oshyan

Absolutely gorgeous! But I too wonder if the render time could be reduced. :D

- Oshyan

Stormlord

Just WOW!!!
Excellent nebula, but the render times... 85 hours in total!
You mention 2 clouds left and 2 clouds on the right side, how many lights you have put into the scenes?

Nevertheless, the shape, colors and dustlanes are well done, this is a very good rendering of a space nebula and the compistion is Poposhop is great.
The only thing that I miss are some bigger stars in the foreground (maybe with glow or streaks) to bring ito the picture a better 3D Effect. So it is more a flat impression.

STORMLORD

Denis Sirenko

Thank you, colleagues!

Quote from: Dune on September 08, 2017, 12:26:28 PM
Awesome, but a hell of a render time. Was that for this size?

No, the full picture has a size 2048x2048 pixels. But since I do not know how big the nebula will be on a specific background (or maybe there's more than one nebulae), I'll render the nebula with a margin in size. So I rendered all nebulae in the size of 2048x2048 pixels too.

In addition, most of the blue nebulae are behind the frame and will be visible on a different background. Therefore, everything is not so scary :)

Quote from: Oshyan on September 08, 2017, 05:03:52 PM
But I too wonder if the render time could be reduced. :D

The new version of Terragen (starting with version 4.1.11) has already reduced the rendering time by 26-27%. I am very glad for this. But since I work a lot in Photoshop, the Terragen is not a bottleneck. I work on my computer, and Terragen renders on others. So there is no urgent need for us. It would be nice, but there is no urgent need.

Quote from: Stormlord on September 09, 2017, 06:40:11 AM
You mention 2 clouds left and 2 clouds on the right side, how many lights you have put into the scenes?

2 clouds left - 3 and 5 lights. 2 clouds right - 3 and 3 lights. In fact, only half of them got into the scene. I'm a little spendthrift :)

Quote from: Stormlord on September 09, 2017, 06:40:11 AM
The only thing that I miss are some bigger stars in the foreground (maybe with glow or streaks) to bring ito the picture a better 3D Effect. So it is more a flat impression.

Thanks for the critical comment, Dirk! There is nothing more useful than criticism, really. The larger stars we will have in the game, in the foreground, on a separate layer. They will be slightly displaced when the camera moves. So they will not only be, but will also be mobile! Perhaps, indeed, for an independent picture I need to add them. I did not think about it, thank you!

Hannes

That last one is incredible!!!!

Denis Sirenko