Nebulae

Started by Denis Sirenko, July 26, 2017, 07:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

You're right, Oshyan. Sorry Denis, looking forward to some more of your fabulous images.

Denis Sirenko

Hey guys!

So, I can take a little breath and gradually share what has accumulated over the past few weeks. This is one of several dozen processed images that Terragen gave me.

This is not the final result to which I aspire. As a final result, we need backgrounds for the game, where the nebulae will be much simpler in form (this nebula will be cut into several simpler parts), darker and they will be on the third plane after space ships and planets.

However, I just can not reconcile with this and wanted to see and share with all my nebulae in a way that they are the main goal of my work.) And this stage, I think, will be more interesting if we are talking about working with nebulae.

[attachimg=1]

luvsmuzik

Not sure how to respond, except welcome back, and a great big LOVE these images! :)

DocCharly65

This is a beautiful and convincing nebula render - I like it!

Dune

Wonderful work again!!

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

These look really nice. Still really love the detail!

But I must admit though, for Nebulae you stated you were originally going for, they have gotten a bit surreal and unlike nebulae we can find IRL.

Denis Sirenko

Thank you, guys!

Quote from: WASasquatch on July 11, 2018, 12:56:58 PM
But I must admit though, for Nebulae you stated you were originally going for, they have gotten a bit surreal and unlike nebulae we can find IRL.

WAS, yes, there is some unrealisticness, I admit it. In fact, after my last publication, the network of nodes has not changed much, and even simplified. This is because I 2 months was not engaged in its improvement, but in rendering a large number of nebulae and preparing them for embedding in game backgrounds. The network of nodes was even slightly simplified.

This unrealistic can occur in all components of the image. Some of them could show up due to limitations in the performance of our computers, the other part because of the incompleteness of the mathematical model. Also, some things may not look realistic, but it's more interesting, and here we deliberately moved away from the original concept of "repeating nature." There can be many reasons. But it would be more interesting and useful for me to find out exactly what things made you think so?

WAS

Quote from: Denis Sirenko on July 12, 2018, 04:18:44 AM
Thank you, guys!

Quote from: WASasquatch on July 11, 2018, 12:56:58 PM

WAS, yes, there is some unrealisticness, I admit it. In fact, after my last publication, the network of nodes has not changed much, and even simplified. This is because I 2 months was not engaged in its improvement, but in rendering a large number of nebulae and preparing them for embedding in game backgrounds. The network of nodes was even slightly simplified.

This unrealistic can occur in all components of the image. Some of them could show up due to limitations in the performance of our computers, the other part because of the incompleteness of the mathematical model. Also, some things may not look realistic, but it's more interesting, and here we deliberately moved away from the original concept of "repeating nature." There can be many reasons. But it would be more interesting and useful for me to find out exactly what things made you think so?

I think someone else had mentioned it before (Hannes?) I haven't gone back through the topic. But your earlier iterations seem more natural, and like Nebulae you can find from Hubble and such. Not talking about repeating nature or anything, but the overall look. They now seem a little unlike nebulae, surreal, exaggerated, dreamy. The latest image reminds me dynamic fluid particle simulations for stress tests. They create a lot of shapes like this. Like this exaggerated one for a car doing a donut:

One thing that may help is not so many small forms going all different directions. There should be some sort of directional flow, even if on a few axis's. Currently it just seems formless and chaotic, like a test. I don't know. I'm not trying to be rude, only trying to help you remember comments you had made earlier about needing input if the idea was lost and didn't look real.

Another example:

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: WASasquatch on July 12, 2018, 03:34:37 PM
I think someone else had mentioned it before (Hannes?) I haven't gone back through the topic.

Yes, Hannes noted some unrealisticness. However, he also noted that the nebulae are becoming more interesting. I'm trying to find something mean.

But your earlier iterations seem more natural, and like Nebulae you can find from Hubble and such. Not talking about repeating nature or anything, but the overall look. They now seem a little unlike nebulae, surreal, exaggerated, dreamy. The latest image reminds me dynamic fluid particle simulations for stress tests.

Here I need to understand which previous nebulae you have in mind, since I have already done a lot.

One thing that may help is not so many small forms going all different directions. There should be some sort of directional flow, even if on a few axis's. Currently it just seems formless and chaotic, like a test. I don't know. I'm not trying to be rude, only trying to help you remember comments you had made earlier about needing input if the idea was lost and didn't look real.

Thank you for the remark about the multidirectional small forms, I will draw my attention to this. As for my initial desire to get the most realistic nebula - well, you see the result of this desire, available to me now. Perhaps if I spend a few more months or years, I will get even better :)

By the way, the dreamy sensation is probably because I began to add glare (for bright light sources) in the post-processing. In addition, I publish these nebulae without additional stars — here only stars actually illuminated the nebula in the TG.

And now I'm just laying out another render.

[attachimg=1]

Denis Sirenko

This is a raw EXR if someone is interested (exposure x2 only).

[attachimg=1]

Oshyan

I'm curious what concerns WAS has as well. I think the more recent iterations of your work look pretty close to real-world references like the Orion Nebula, just without all the stars, different colors, and of course not the same shapes. But the colors are often false color anyway.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Orion_Nebula.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_Nebula#/media/File:Orion_Nebula_-_Hubble_2006_mosaic_18000.jpg

- Oshyan

Hannes

Realistic or not... These look incredible! I'm blown away that this is TG.

Denis Sirenko