Vertical strata, desert rocks

Started by Kexikus, July 26, 2017, 08:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kexikus

Hello,

I'm trying to create a landscape that has these desert mountains or rocks with vertical strata(?). I have no idea what they're called, but I found this topic where someone created pretty much exactly the mountain shapes I'm looking for.

The horizontal ridges are most likely created with a Strata and Outcrops shader, but I have no idea how I'd go about creating the vertical ridges and the general mountain shapes. And since I don't know what these mountain formations are called, it's kinda hard to search for them.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you :)

René

You could try to rotate the strata shader (trial and error), but that might not give you what you are looking for. Another way is to use a stretched(along xy or yz axis) power fractal fed through a transform shader to rotate it. An alpine fractal with negative displacement might also work. Ultimately you could experiment using all these methods together.

Kexikus

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for the input. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the terrain I want with your methods (yet), but I'll continue to try.

I also found this .tgd by WASasquatch and dune that has the structure I was looking for, but it doesn't seem to like the terrain I want to use it with (terraces). Cracked Face by cbalaskas seems more promising, but I'll have to continue experimenting.