IBM Creates World's Smallest Computer

Started by WAS, June 30, 2019, 03:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Yes, but can it run Doom?

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/265917-ibm-creates-worlds-smallest-computer-blockchain-tech

This is pretty fascinating, and not sure how I missed it. A computer of this size, even with the power of a 1990s x86, is capable of a LOT. While they advertise the use in blockchain, it has singular use. Especially in medicine, and unfortunately, in spying. One of this SoC systems could pack enough power to, for example, control the flight muscles of a fly. :O They could power security measures in chip-based credit cards, I mean, the ideas are almost seemingly endless.

PabloMack

Looks like 3nm is nearly here. I saw a video that talked about conductors being only 10 atoms thick.
I think we are about to reach the density wall and end of Moore's Law.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/291507-samsung-unveils-3nm-gate-all-around-design-tools

I just bought an FPGA development kit that is based on 20nm. I should be getting it within the next
two days. I'm about to step onto the rapid prototyping wagon. What I am looking for is a way to
send my CAD files to an IC foundry to get just a few chips made for only a few hundred dollars. I
can remember the delight I felt after I emailed my CAD files for a PCB to be made and they arrived
in the mail. The same will be possible one day for ICs. I'll be a happy man when that day finally
comes.  :D

WAS

Quote from: PabloMack on June 30, 2019, 09:14:56 PM
Looks like 3nm is nearly here. I saw a video that talked about conductors being only 10 atoms thick.
I think we are about to reach the density wall and end of Moore's Law.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/291507-samsung-unveils-3nm-gate-all-around-design-tools

I just bought an FPGA development kit that is based on 20nm. I should be getting it within the next
two days. I'm about to step onto the rapid prototyping wagon. What I am looking for is a way to
send my CAD files to an IC foundry to get just a few chips made for only a few hundred dollars. I
can remember the delight I felt after I emailed my CAD files for a PCB to be made and they arrived
in the mail. The same will be possible one day for ICs. I'll be a happy man when that day finally
comes.  :D

I definitely look forward to seeing your innovations there, way over my head but nonetheless always super intriguing to me.. when I first saw that guy bring in his huuuuge home made (I believe it was a 386) CPU and graphics module. Way to big but he did it on purpose so he could test without sending off for a PCB. Just a mess of wires and transistors on a projector cart. Lol

I really am interested to see where these.mini PCs go beyond block chain functions.

Dune

Smallness baffles me anyway; I just bought an usb 'stick', less than half the size of my pinky nail, and it stores 64 Gigs! Now the problem will be not to loose it  :P

PabloMack

Quote from: Dune on July 01, 2019, 01:00:05 AMSmallness baffles me anyway; I just bought an usb 'stick', less than half the size of my pinky nail, and it stores 64 Gigs! Now the problem will be not to loose it  :P

I have one of those micro SD cards that is about that size. I had to use tweezers to get the darn thing into the tiny socket. It is so small that it can accidentally get pushed in around and past the receiving connector and get lost and loose inside a camera enclosure or whatever device that uses that type of memory. I wonder who thought that was a good idea.

Paul

WAS

Quote from: PabloMack on July 02, 2019, 11:33:31 AM
Quote from: Dune on July 01, 2019, 01:00:05 AMSmallness baffles me anyway; I just bought an usb 'stick', less than half the size of my pinky nail, and it stores 64 Gigs! Now the problem will be not to loose it  :P

I have one of those micro SD cards that is about that size. I had to use tweezers to get the darn thing into the tiny socket. It is so small that it can accidentally get pushed in around and past the receiving connector and get lost and loose inside a camera enclosure or whatever device that uses that type of memory. I wonder who thought that was a good idea.

Paul

I lost one into the case of a pie, and it slid across the board, the pie was OK, but the SD card wouldn't format ever again. xD