Simple Mountain - First Render

Started by hmmy, April 17, 2020, 02:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmmy

Hello,

Hobbyist here.  First week exploring the free version of Terragen, and loving it so far.  I'd love to use it long-term so I'm on the fence with purchasing Creative (mainly for rendering/exporting).

The heightmap I have in the image below is 1k.  I read in the forum anything under 4k is useless - are most of you all using 8k?  Thanks!

Glakenutica.png

Dune

Welcome to this forum, and great that you consider purchasing TG. A new world will open to you, and any help needed can be provided here.
I don't use heightfields, but mainly work procedural, so I'm not really the one to answer this, but I think 1k is not really a problem, unless it's a huge area you're covering. And if you add more displacement fractals, any 'softness' of the heightfield can be camouflaged.

sboerner

Nice rendering, and it looks like your heightfield worked just fine here. 

And welcome. Looking forward to seeing more.

DocCharly65

Welcome and have a nice time with Terragen. 
Nice render. Impressive rocks.

hmmy

Took a 1k heightmap I had created a few days ago, and spent a few hours creating a background and shaders I can use as a base for my scenes going forward.

I can see myself spending way too much time diving into the function nodes here in the near future. 

Dune

Nice one again.

One thing I wanted to say about posting; I don't know if it's still important with the current server, but a good while back it was advised to post as jpg's, not png's. Png take up a lot of space (MB-wise), and with all the posts server may clog up one day.... and jpg can be good enough for posts here.

If you compare these, you'll see what I mean.

hmmy

Quote from: Dune on April 22, 2020, 01:39:50 AMNice one again.

One thing I wanted to say about posting; I don't know if it's still important with the current server, but a good while back it was advised to post as jpg's, not png's. Png take up a lot of space (MB-wise), and with all the posts server may clog up one day.... and jpg can be good enough for posts here.

If you compare these, you'll see what I mean.
Ah, understood. Thank you!

sboerner

Nice composition. How are you generating the heightfields?

hmmy

Quote from: sboerner on April 22, 2020, 11:00:58 AMNice composition. How are you generating the heightfields?
Thank you.  I am generating them from Gaea (free version).  With how I import the heightmaps, it works great to define basic terrain the Terragen shaders can work with.  They don't look too great by themselves (probably a user issue).

hmmy

Another simple landscape, toying with water this time.  Wanted a nice glow to it, but couldn't create anything I was happy with. 

No message is associated with this attachment.

Dune

If you want water to glow, you could try merging it (merge shader: add color) with a surface shader that has a bit of luminosity.

N-drju

Pretty good as for "simple" landscapes. ;) Well done.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"