Martin's landscapes

Started by Martin, July 31, 2017, 01:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent unawares

I like your ship idea a lot. It looks to me like there was a base hull that over the years had a lot of additions organically welded on and a lot of repairs made.

But, the shader you use looks much too plastic for me to find this believable. Specifically, it looks like a rather small piece of plastic when given the scale I feel the ship is rather meant to be enormous. If this is supposed to be a metal ship (which I suspect from the color) I would make the shader more metallic (decrease roughness to sharpen specular highlights, and possibly increase reflectivity depending how much you like chrome). Maybe also add some rusty patches and small scratches, rivets all over. If it is supposed to be an organic ship I would take some inspiration from an old whale's skin, a lot of small surface details and long scratch scars, etc. You have ZBrush, you should be able to paint some nice base color.

Basically this is very nice but the shader and lack of tiny surface details is taking away a lot from the sense of size.

Martin

Quote from: agent_unawares on September 18, 2017, 12:44:43 PM
I like your ship idea a lot. It looks to me like there was a base hull that over the years had a lot of additions organically welded on and a lot of repairs made.

But, the shader you use looks much too plastic for me to find this believable. Specifically, it looks like a rather small piece of plastic when given the scale I feel the ship is rather meant to be enormous. If this is supposed to be a metal ship (which I suspect from the color) I would make the shader more metallic (decrease roughness to sharpen specular highlights, and possibly increase reflectivity depending how much you like chrome). Maybe also add some rusty patches and small scratches, rivets all over. If it is supposed to be an organic ship I would take some inspiration from an old whale's skin, a lot of small surface details and long scratch scars, etc. You have ZBrush, you should be able to paint some nice base color.

Basically this is very nice but the shader and lack of tiny surface details is taking away a lot from the sense of size.

The thing is I scapped the zbrush texture because it looked bad upclose. 4k was not enough.
Reflectivity and specular are both on 1- and roughness is 0.22. I tried to replicate the old Alien movie miniature feeling. Sadly without this plastic-y reflection all the detail disappears.
This is the first render: with the 4k zbrush texture map
And the second is the procedural map but with high roughness reflection.

Martin

Also The zbrush render

agent unawares

Roughness on 0.22 is too high for a metallic I think in the TG shader. Look here for some examples of how the roughness varies with specular. Even 0.1 looks still too high for me. The matte version honestly doesn't look all that bad either though, it has kind of the look of old peeling paint and rust.

I really like the way the colors look on your original base texture. It's too bad about the export size. A lot of the fine detail in ZBrush is just gone in the TG render.

Martin

Quote from: agent_unawares on September 18, 2017, 03:09:48 PM
Roughness on 0.22 is too high for a metallic I think in the TG shader. Look here for some examples of how the roughness varies with specular. Even 0.1 looks still too high for me. The matte version honestly doesn't look all that bad either though, it has kind of the look of old peeling paint and rust.

I really like the way the colors look on your original base texture. It's too bad about the export size. A lot of the fine detail in ZBrush is just gone in the TG render.
I know how it works in TG. But metallic is usually a different type of shader, it can be rough, or shiny , doesn't matter.
I'm experimenting with a 8k texture map , with a stronger burnt AO texture-.

agent unawares

Yes, I am only referring to the final appearance of the material not the shader language. It just looks more plastic than metallic to me at those settings. Probably there's a way to make it still look metallic even with fuzzy highlights, I just don't know how in TG. I am interested to see how the 8K version turns out.

Martin

Quote from: agent_unawares on September 18, 2017, 04:13:18 PM
Yes, I am only referring to the final appearance of the material not the shader language. It just looks more plastic than metallic to me at those settings. Probably there's a way to make it still look metallic even with fuzzy highlights, I just don't know how in TG. I am interested to see how the 8K version turns out.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of plastic-or rather any highlights. It's often overdone in moves etc. But after experimenting it looked like a rough reflection is the only way to bring back the details that are missing due to the way terragen renders objects. I was disappointed how much of the original detail is just gone on the TG render. The first few renders looked like a piece of wood, or rock instead of a detailed spaceship. So it was just an "artistic choice". Now I'm rendering a 18 million poly building ,with the AO map used as a reflection image in TG. We'll see.

Martin

The big ship-building

agent unawares

Martin

Something in the crater

Martin

And as a population. Getting pretty Alien like...

Oshyan

These last few ones are very Alien-like. ;) But I like it, very cool shapes and detail.

- Oshyan

Martin

Quote from: Oshyan on September 19, 2017, 07:08:00 PM
These last few ones are very Alien-like. ;) But I like it, very cool shapes and detail.

- Oshyan

Thanks! I watched a sci fi from the sixties a few days ago. Couldn't help but making sci fi pics again!

bobbystahr

They look ready to take off
I like the under shot of the ship myself
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Martin

Been experimenting a bit, but didn't make anything particularly interesting
maybe this alien landscape with tilted, extreme mountains.