Martin's landscapes

Started by Martin, July 31, 2017, 01:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

I'm currently experimenting with Rock populations. I always use the fakestones shader, but after using custom models with populations, with procedural displacement and textures on it, I thought it's time to use populations for stones as well.
But the displacement won't work at all. Tried switching off the raytracing, it just made everything explode.
Tried a custom rock object, tried the terragen rocks, nothing seems to work properly.
Also looks like the warp shader and transform shader doesn't work with populations either. Am I missing something, or there's no way to use proper displacement with populations?
I've attached the fakestone displacement render, and the population rock object render with the errors I get with the same displacement.
Also a picture with other object populations with displacement,  it worked before with simple fractal shaders. Is the warp shader- transform shader- and voronoi diff the problem?

Dune

The rock population is based on an object, whilst fake rocks are procedural, so for the rock object to work properly you need a high resolution (subdivide a few times), and then still, there's no real displacement in RT mode. For non-RT mode you need to be careful about your displacement; too much and the rocks burst out of their (vertex) seams.

Martin

Quote from: Dune on July 31, 2017, 01:37:20 AM
The rock population is based on an object, whilst fake rocks are procedural, so for the rock object to work properly you need a high resolution (subdivide a few times), and then still, there's no real displacement in RT mode. For non-RT mode you need to be careful about your displacement; too much and the rocks burst out of their (vertex) seams.

Oh well damn. Thanks!
Looks like I won't use rock populations. Though I had the impression that displacement works pretty nicely on imported objects. Like buildings. Probably because they were kind of high poly.
For some reason I though terragen subdivides everything. It handles population objects over 1 million polys - and 4000 instances of them. Pretty impressive.

Dune

Nice works, are the buildings yours? I guess you're using bumpmapping (so RT mode) here, which goes a long way. Only where you glance past the sides of a wall, you see there's no real displacement. If the buildings are really high poly (not just one side as one polygon), displacement works as well.

Martin

Quote from: Dune on July 31, 2017, 01:54:51 AM
Nice works, are the buildings yours? I guess you're using bumpmapping (so RT mode) here, which goes a long way. Only where you glance past the sides of a wall, you see there's no real displacement. If the buildings are really high poly (not just one side as one polygon), displacement works as well.
yeah , it seems it was bump mapping all along. I'm surprised, it looked pretty neat.

And yes, I made them, 3ds max low poly- imported to zbrush and sculpted, weathered, then optimised the mesh and build more complex buildings again in max. Then I used these as populations with procedural textures  in terragen.

Dune

Martin

Quote from: Dune on July 31, 2017, 07:40:18 AM
Cool stuff.

Thanks. I think I will post some of my new pictures in this thread. I've been using artstation recently.

inkydigit

Very cool!
I love the ruin texture, some great ideas, look forward to seeing more:)

Martin

Quote from: inkydigit on July 31, 2017, 10:52:14 AM
Very cool!
I love the ruin texture, some great ideas, look forward to seeing more:)

thanks! :)

So ,I have a lot of renders so let's start with the ruin population type of pics.
These are mainly Lord of the Rings inspired environments.

Martin

More of the Lotr inspired renders.

Kadri

You might have seen this thread maybe. Quite a read but it could be useful for your work.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20213.0.html

There are many other threads too about displacement with objects if you search of course.

Nice work and models Martin.

Edit: here is another one with Matt's response:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19431.15.html

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on July 31, 2017, 11:08:36 AM

You might have seen this thread maybe. Quite a read but it could be useful for your work.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20213.0.html

There are many other threads too about displacement with objects if you search of course.

Nice work and models Martin.

Edit: here is another one with Matt's response:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19431.15.html

Thank you Kadri!
checked the threads. Yeah it seems it won't work the way I expected(big complex displacement giving the base sphere like rocks the main form  in a population etc) But the minimal -bump map like displacement and texture works like a charm on my building models. :)

J_Con

Nice models. The modular nature of them is pretty cool. Would be nice see them in a Forrest. Taller structures protruding above the canopy and smaller structures in dappled light. A lot of work, I am getting tired just thinking about it . I will add it to my bucket list.

bobbystahr

Wow, impressive modeling Martin; and well used in your renders. ***** on this project!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Martin

Quote from: J_Con on July 31, 2017, 02:28:34 PM
Nice models. The modular nature of them is pretty cool. Would be nice see them in a Forrest. Taller structures protruding above the canopy and smaller structures in dappled light. A lot of work, I am getting tired just thinking about it . I will add it to my bucket list.

Thank you everyone!
Here's the next batch.
This all started with a new rock cliff- shader. Then I added a new grass hills shader , and it looked nice. So I added trees. And then I thought it looks like Naboo from star wars so I sculpted some naboo inspired stone heads.Then I made some Lord of the rings inspired buildings. Kept adding things. This is what came out of it.